117 replies to this topic

#1 Speedmonger

Speedmonger

Looks for Match

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 03:34 PM

soo, had the small STI aluminum grip fit to a new gun and bam - 1,000 rounds thru it the grip cracked in two places. Did some research and am finding that this is the case with others as well ? please share your stories...

#2 ebg3

ebg3

Calls Shots

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:00 PM

Sorry to hear that. Where has the grip cracked? I'm sure STI will cover you.
EG
Be the Bullet...

TY-36459

#3 Speedmonger

Speedmonger

Looks for Match

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:33 PM

front side and back side...

#4 Aircooled6racer

Aircooled6racer

Hello:Thanks,Eric.

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,287 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:38 PM

Hello: Do you have any pics of the grip? Thanks, Eric

#5 gunut

gunut

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:47 PM

Let us know what STI does . sorry about the aggravation

#6 matt2ace

matt2ace

<--- Gun ... Ammo --->

• Classified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:50 PM

2 open guns both with full-size aluminum grips. One has 4K rounds, the other about 1K.....not a single problem.

Edited by matt2ace, 27 January 2010 - 04:51 PM.

#7 35WLN

35WLN

Sees Target

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:12 PM

That sucks, I just got one of the small ones. I hope STI takes care of it.

#8 Josh Biondi

Josh Biondi

Sees Sights Lift

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:45 AM

Certainly STI will cover it! Giva a call to Chris and send him a couple of pictures, he wil take care of you....
God created men, Col. Samuel Colt made them equal!!!!!!

Team STI

#9 G-ManBart

G-ManBart

Maku Bozo

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,084 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:50 AM

front side and back side...

In what area? Front near the mag release or somewhere else?
TY23298

Bartgolfs@yahoo.com if you want to reach me....I'm only here when absolutely necessary.

#10 Bret Heidkamp

Bret Heidkamp

Do it again, Dad, do it again !!!

• Classified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:31 AM

Don't know if this will help with the aluminum grips but on the plastic ones you have to make sure the bushings are new / tight. If they are loose, grips crack. The problem is you can't feel them get loose, it's not obvious. About .001" play must be doing it.

Change grips = change bushings, and I've started changing the bushings whenever I do a major overhaul!
Team CrossTac

#11 bill d

bill d

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:37 AM

This is a problem that's not going to go away until they redesign them. I've cracked 6 grips so far ( about to start on 7 and 8)and am going to keep cracking them until they thicken certain area's. STI has been more than willing to help me and sends me the new grip's right away. The cracks usually occur around 2 to 4 thousand rounds on my open guns. And I've experimented with how far I can get the crack's to "grow". The gun will function fine but the cracks keep going and going. If you have one of their grip's, it will happen very sooner than later. Each time they crack in all the same area's.

So, a few things:

Your grip WILL eventually crack (probably under 5k or 10k if your lucky, all 6 of mine maybe made it to 3 to 4 k at best)

STI will help you, and respond quickly.

This problem will continue until they redesign them.

#12 Singlestack

Singlestack

Mighty Tightey Whitey

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,110 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:43 AM

This is a problem that's not going to go away until they redesign them. I've cracked 6 grips so far ( about to start on 7 and 8)and am going to keep cracking them until they thicken certain area's. STI has been more than willing to help me and sends me the new grip's right away. The cracks usually occur around 2 to 4 thousand rounds on my open guns. And I've experimented with how far I can get the crack's to "grow". The gun will function fine but the cracks keep going and going. If you have one of their grip's, it will happen very sooner than later. Each time they crack in all the same area's.

So, a few things:

Your grip WILL eventually crack (probably under 5k or 10k if your lucky, all 6 of mine maybe made it to 3 to 4 k at best)

Strange indeed. I have 2 grips with well over 75k on both with no cracks. One on a Open gun and one Limited. I wonder what it is you are doing to crack your grips. I have never heard of anybody else cracking them with so few rounds on them.
TSCR Steel

Desire Alters Perception

Friends are family you choose for yourself.

#13 Pat Miles

Pat Miles

aka: whatmeworry

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:45 AM

So, a few things:

Share some info with us...where do the cracks appear? :ph34r: Various locations? Same location?
Pat

Sent from my rotary wall phone

Every meal is a feast, every march is a parade, every day is a holiday!

The first step to true intelligence is to call everything by it's correct name.

It's NEVER too late to have a happy childhood!

Life is too short to drink bad beer!

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rapidly promoted by the mainstream media, which holds that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end.

A man is smartest during sex since he is plugged into a know it all.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.

Did you know that Murphy is a woman?

#14 bill d

bill d

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:59 AM

So, a few things:

Strange indeed. I have 2 grips with well over 75k on both with no cracks. One on a Open gun and one Limited. I wonder what it is you are doing to crack your grips. I have never heard of anybody else cracking them with so few rounds on them.

I've heard of many people cracking them. If you have 75,000 rounds on each of your two guns with the Aluminum grips you must be the luckiest person. Like I've said, I've gone through 6 and I know how to fit then and even had my gunsmith fit a few. There is nothing special I'm doing to the gun, just shooting it. SVI designed theirs right and bulked up the area where the cracking occurs because they probably had cracks when they R&D'd. I'd post a picture but don't really know how to, as you see I don't really post a lot.
The cracks always happen in the same place. Down the sides, where the grip is the thinnest (down to the mag catch). And eventually under the trigger gaurd (again where it is extremely thin).

#15 werewolf45auto

werewolf45auto

Sees Target

• Classified
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:29 AM

So, a few things:

I've heard of many people cracking them. If you have 75,000 rounds on each of your two guns with the Aluminum grips you must be the luckiest person. Like I've said, I've gone through 6 and I know how to fit then and even had my gunsmith fit a few. There is nothing special I'm doing to the gun, just shooting it. SVI designed theirs right and bulked up the area where the cracking occurs because they probably had cracks when they R&D'd. I'd post a picture but don't really know how to, as you see I don't really post a lot.
The cracks always happen in the same place. Down the sides, where the grip is the thinnest (down to the mag catch). And eventually under the trigger gaurd (again where it is extremely thin).

So those of you with a lot of rounds (that have not cracked) and those of you with very few (that have cracked) what size grips do you have. In other words are the small one cracking and the large not?
Single Stack Elitist Club.......member #87

#16 Aircooled6racer

Aircooled6racer

Hello:Thanks,Eric.

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,287 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:31 AM

Hello: Is this on the small grips or both? I really want to try one of these grips since I think they would give more feed back through the grip. Maybe too much feedback it sounds like? I wonder if they change the alloy they are using if that would make them last? I guess I'll keep playing with the plastic grips I'm using now for a while. I am sure STI will figure it out soon. Thanks, Eric

#17 G-ManBart

G-ManBart

Maku Bozo

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,084 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:27 AM

So, a few things:

You've got 75K on two guns with the aluminum grips? That's a lot of shooting since they were released!
TY23298

Bartgolfs@yahoo.com if you want to reach me....I'm only here when absolutely necessary.

#18 RIIID

RIIID

Beyond it All

• Forum Dealer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:35 AM

The answer to the problem looks to be the SV grip.
Rich
you know your old when your mind makes a promise your body can not fill. LF
www.canyoncreekcustom.comVisit My Website

Today is only yesterdays tomorrow. UH

#19 Chris Keen

Chris Keen

Sees Sights

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,064 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:06 PM

You've got 75K on two guns with the aluminum grips? That's a lot of shooting since they were released!

Thats what I was thinking ..... I'll bet John was talking about the plastic grips.

Chris Keen
Phoenix Trinity Shooting Team

Rainier Ballistics Shooting Team
USPSA # A-46956
>>>My You Tube Videos<<<

#20 bill d

bill d

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:27 PM

The ones I use are the regular sized grips, not the smaller.

#21 Bret Heidkamp

Bret Heidkamp

Do it again, Dad, do it again !!!

• Classified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:42 PM

Pictures???
Team CrossTac

#22 bill d

bill d

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:24 PM

Again, as I wrote above, I don't know how to post a pic.

#23 00bullitt

00bullitt

DRL-in-Training

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:18 PM

I haven't shot my limited gun but 4 or 500 rounds since putting the slim aluminum grip on it. I love the improvement in feel and feedback from the gun. This news kinda sucks. :(

Speed is Fine,Accuracy is final....but accurate hits at extremely high speed is final much faster.

Amateurs do it til they get it right. Professionals do it til they can't get it wrong.

#24 G-ManBart

G-ManBart

Maku Bozo

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,084 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:39 PM

Again, as I wrote above, I don't know how to post a pic.

You can e-mail a pic to me and I can host it on my Photobucket account.

You can also simply click the blue button below the text window, under "Attachments", that says "Browse", locate the pic on your hard drive and click "Attach this File"....very easy. R,
TY23298

#25 ebg3

ebg3

Calls Shots

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:42 PM

Sad to hear of the Al grips cracking...I just can't imagine aluminum NOT cracking especially on a Limited gun. I think SV will still do an aluminum grip, they just advise against it. I've actually heard of a couple steel grips cracking. If STI stands behind them, keep using the Al grip, you just may want to have one as a back up. No offense to anyone, just my $.02.
EG
Be the Bullet...

TY-36459

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users