11 replies to this topic

#1 wolfie

wolfie

Looks for Range

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 07:52 AM

I have a new Glock 34 which I am trying to tweak a little. I have not been involved in any competitive shooting but would like to start. I understand that the Glock 34 is not a production gun due to its barrel length so I will use my G 17 for that.

So far I have put Heinie 50+ Slantpro fixed sights, vanek classic trigger and I just sent it off to have the grip reduced and finger grooves removed by Boresight solutions.

Everything else is stock.

Any other suggestions??

#2 Jman

Jman

Balance

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 07:57 AM

The G34 IS a USPSA Production legal gun. It won't be after you have the grip modified as you discribed.

Jim

DRINK WATER

#3 M109R

M109R

Looks for Target

• Classified
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:21 AM

I have a new Glock 34 which I am trying to tweak a little. I have not been involved in any competitive shooting but would like to start. I understand that the Glock 34 is not a production gun due to its barrel length so I will use my G 17 for that.

So far I have put Heinie 50+ Slantpro fixed sights, vanek classic trigger and I just sent it off to have the grip reduced and finger grooves removed by Boresight solutions.

Any other suggestions??

After the above mods the 34 will only be a Limited gun and it will be far from ideal for that. 9mm is scored minor in Limited as is hard to climb the ladder. If you don't care about getting any higher in classification and just shooting for the fun of it that is different. I am competitive and always trying to shoot better and get classified higher.

#4 Duane Thomas

Duane Thomas

Story Teller

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,150 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:34 AM

Is it too late to call up Boresight and stop the grip mods? BAD idea for a USPSA 9mm Glock. Many people consider the Glock 34 the USPSA Production gun...but, as M109R pointed out, it will be illegal for that division after you have the grip modded.
Pride and fear are emotions, which hope for an outcome. Outcomes take your attention from the present, where the shooting happens, to the future. It is totally impossible to do anything in the future, because it hasn't happened yet. The key to shooting your best is to be present as the witness of the shooting. Do not judge, do not give yourself anything to live up to. We can only shoot as well as we have trained ourselves to shoot. To try to shoot only induces stress. Be content with your current ability. And accumulate practice to improve that ability. Consolidate, build strength where you feel weakness. We cannot raise our ability until we accept our current limitations. Practice dissolves limitations. Matches simply define where the current limits exist. The game of shooting is all about redefining our limits.
- Sam

Amateurs do it til they get it right. Professionals do it til they can't get it wrong.

"It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters."
- Paul "Bear" Bryant

"The only reason why Everest is the highest mountain ever climbed is because it's the highest. If there was one higher, I bet there'd be people trying to climb it."
- Jack Barnes

#5 wolfie

wolfie

Looks for Range

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:39 AM

Thanks for the info on USPSA. I see that the G34 IS a production gun. I was confusing it with IPSA where the G34 is NOT a production gun.

Either way I hate the finger grooves and would prefer to learn to shoot it well and have fun for now. IF the bug really bites me and I cannot live with the disadvantage of being in the limited division I guess I can always go to another gun.

Thanks.

#6 wolfie

wolfie

Looks for Range

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:56 AM

Okay, makes sense. I can still stop Boresight. Maybe I should just send my G17 to them since this is my carry gun and leave the 34 production legal and just put in more time to get used to the grooves.

Thanks again.

#7 Jman

Jman

Balance

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:03 AM

Okay, makes sense. I can still stop Boresight. Maybe I should just send my G17 to them since this is my carry gun and leave the 34 production legal and just put in more time to get used to the grooves.

Thanks again.

As far as your G34 (if you can get the grip mod cancelled in time) it's good to go. The Vanek Classic is outstanding and your sight selection is fine. Shoot it.

Jim

DRINK WATER

#8 AustinMike

AustinMike

Calls Shots

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:36 AM

I used to hate finger grooves and shot only 2nd Gen. Glocks. After shooting them for a couple years, I decided to give a new G34 a try. Slapped some Trugrip tape on it and now the grooves don't bother me in the slightest. I think, for me anyway, that the finger grooves were just an early mental block. I used to mess around with trigger tweaking too. Now, I'm back to stock except for a LWD connector and some polishing. The connector isn't even a necessity, but it is just a bit more crisp than stock. The more I shoot Glocks, the more I'm convinced they don't really "need" anything more than a good set of sights and a lot of practice.
Timor mortis conturbat me
You can be anything you want to be. - Mom
The apprentice takes something easy and makes it look difficult, while the master takes the impossible and makes it look easy. - Neil Peart
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. - Mark Twain

#9 JohnGaultsGun

JohnGaultsGun

Sees Target

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:22 PM

Any other suggestions??

With or without finger grooves, that really should have no bearing on the way you shoot. Sights and trigger are right on. Maybe get a metal guide rod and a lower pound recoil spring (14/13 lbs) ... then play around with your loads. Something around 130 PF will keep you out of trouble and prevent you from going sub-minor at chrono. Be sure you don't go over the weight limit. Many big matches DO weigh your gun at chrono.
Garret Chan
Rudy Project USA Competition Squad
USPSA: TY52406

---------------------------------------------
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

#10 bulamike

bulamike

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 08:45 AM

I kept my 34 completely unmolested, but took my 22 and stippled the frame and gave it the works, I would keep the mods you have on the 34 and call it a day.

#11 Chris Keen

Chris Keen

Sees Sights

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,064 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 09:29 AM

I used to hate finger grooves and shot only 2nd Gen. Glocks. After shooting them for a couple years, I decided to give a new G34 a try. Slapped some Trugrip tape on it and now the grooves don't bother me in the slightest. I think, for me anyway, that the finger grooves were just an early mental block. I used to mess around with trigger tweaking too. Now, I'm back to stock except for a LWD connector and some polishing. The connector isn't even a necessity, but it is just a bit more crisp than stock. The more I shoot Glocks, the more I'm convinced they don't really "need" anything more than a good set of sights and a lot of practice.

This pretty much covers all the bases. Especially that last sentence. +1

Chris Keen
Rainier Ballistics Shooting Team
USPSA # A-46956
>>>My You Tube Videos<<<

#12 Nik Habicht

Nik Habicht

Voice of Reason

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,369 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 09:40 AM

This pretty much covers all the bases. Especially that last sentence. +1

I'm there too.....
Nik

You're shooting Steel like an A class shooter. Why are you shooting the Paper so slowly? ---- Dave Marques, Production Nationals, 2005

This is a game of high-speed precision. If you don't precisely plan what you want to happen, there's not much chance that it will. ---- Brian Enos, 2004

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users