75 replies to this topic

#26 Joe4d

Joe4d

Elite Operator

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 06:13 PM

Find a solid color summer weight BDU shirt, cut off the sleeves, poof ! a vest, now go to Home depot and buy some of those super heavy two foot long zip ties, cut the tie part off, open up your vest and cut a little hole in the flap of material that has the buttons on one side holes on the other. The material is doubled, slide the zip tie in trim the length sew the little hole shut.

#27 HighVelocity

HighVelocity

Calls Shots

• Classified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 06:39 PM

I have tried quite a few different vests and the SigTac is my favorite. It's lightweight and has the pockets right where I want them.

Gary
Gary J.
IDPA A25864 SSR ESR ESP EX, CDP SSP MA
USPSA TY-62898 SS-B L10-B Limited-A

#28 Hot Brass

Hot Brass

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 10:34 PM

Which one do you gamers prefer the 5.11 or woolrich? I'm looking for one that is stiff so that is moves out of the way easier instead of crumpling up around my gun on the draw.

I've had both the 5.11 and the Woolrich. In fact, I currently have both the lightweight and heavy Woolrich. I like the heavy vest (with lots of pockets) for vacationing. You can carry a ton of crap around wally world with one of those things. Otherwise, I only wear the lightweight one during matches. It works very well for me.

#29 miyamoto

miyamoto

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 01:10 PM

Which one do you gamers prefer the 5.11 or woolrich? I'm looking for one that is stiff so that is moves out of the way easier instead of crumpling up around my gun on the draw.

I've had both the 5.11 and the Woolrich. In fact, I currently have both the lightweight and heavy Woolrich. I like the heavy vest (with lots of pockets) for vacationing. You can carry a ton of crap around wally world with one of those things. Otherwise, I only wear the lightweight one during matches. It works very well for me.

I use the concealed carry clothiers light weight tropical vest. Synthetic, breaths well, dries fast. I use this in Phoenix AZ. on the hottest of days with no problems. Then again, I am very fit as well so YMMV. You only have to watch out on windy days as the light vest likes to flap around unless you weight the pockets alot.
"Tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie".

#30 9x45

9x45

Looks for Target

• Classified
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:12 AM

It conceals, and cools.... choose from 4 smart colors.

http://www.palmflex....eluxe_vests.htm

They are great for riding on hot days but you get a lot more cooling going 85mph. Haven't tried mine at a match yet.

#31 jhe888

jhe888

Looks for Match

• Classified
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 10:06 AM

I also like the Competitive Concealment one when it is hot. The lady who makes them is local to me, and she does a very good job. They aren't quite as stiff as a 5-11 in front, but if they were, they wouldn't be as cool.

http://www.competitiveconcealment.com/

#32 Duane Thomas

Duane Thomas

Story Teller

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,150 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:19 PM

I use the concealed carry clothiers light weight tropical vest.

I alternate between the Concealed Carry Clothiers Tropical and Double Action vests. A major plus, as far as I'm concerned, is that CCC vests don't look "tactical" or "gunny". I've had several folks at IDPA matches say to me, "Wow, your vest actually look like....a vest."

http://www.concealed...oduct.php?id=10

http://www.concealed...roduct.php?id=9
Pride and fear are emotions, which hope for an outcome. Outcomes take your attention from the present, where the shooting happens, to the future. It is totally impossible to do anything in the future, because it hasn't happened yet. The key to shooting your best is to be present as the witness of the shooting. Do not judge, do not give yourself anything to live up to. We can only shoot as well as we have trained ourselves to shoot. To try to shoot only induces stress. Be content with your current ability. And accumulate practice to improve that ability. Consolidate, build strength where you feel weakness. We cannot raise our ability until we accept our current limitations. Practice dissolves limitations. Matches simply define where the current limits exist. The game of shooting is all about redefining our limits.
- Sam

Amateurs do it til they get it right. Professionals do it til they can't get it wrong.

"It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters."
- Paul "Bear" Bryant

"The only reason why Everest is the highest mountain ever climbed is because it's the highest. If there was one higher, I bet there'd be people trying to climb it."
- Jack Barnes

#33 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Calls Shots

• Classified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 07:42 PM

Here down in the south (Memphis, TN) we get to do fun things, like shoot our monthly match this weekend in projected 94 degree heat, at 78% humidity. And it's not even the hot part of the summer yet.

I use a Smith & Alexander vest. Very light, like a vest made out of a T-shirt, and it was only $32 or $36 (forget which) when ordered directly. I saw their advertisement in the Tactical Journal, called 'em, asked about that price, and got the discount. :)
Tension is the enemy of speed

#34 Tattoo

Tattoo

Sees Sights Lift

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:57 PM

5.11 For just that reason. Sweeps great. Then after I shoot I take it off, cause its hot as hell.

T

#35 Steve Koski

Steve Koski

Beyond it All

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:02 PM

T-shirt for me in hot weather. Sweat shirt in cold weather.

#36 shoot

shoot

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:48 AM

I'm going to try the http://www.competitiveconcealment.com/ vest.

6-8 weeks to get one made but it should be a nice summer cover that has some nifty colors available. I hope the sweep stiffness will be as easy to add too as the 5.11 was.

I didn't like the divided pockets on the 5.11.

It was easy to remedy though. lol ... grr ... (i.e. Lost a stowed mag on a stage in the compartments but once I learned the lesson it was easy to fix). ... grrr ... rip .... I definitely have a lot of trust in the 5.11 for cooler conditions after hours of dry fire practice in air conditioned comfort but it's a hot bugger to wear in searing heat.

I look forward to the competitive concealment vest.

#37 Aristotle

Aristotle

Beyond it All

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 09:05 AM

I believe you can make anything sweep well with practice. I use a very loose button up t shirt, Nike golf shirt actually that breathes very well and is actually what I would most likely wear for CCW.

I just grab the bottom of my shirt and sweep. No worries about bobbling my gun by sweeping high, and I get a clean draw like the shirt was never there. Takes a little practice, but doesn't everything?

I can spend more money on bullets and range time.

:D

Edited by Aristotle, 02 July 2008 - 10:50 PM.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)"

Shooting videos on Youtube

#38 Bones

Bones

Calls Shots

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 09:37 AM

http://www.utilikilts.com/

#39 Steve Koski

Steve Koski

Beyond it All

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 12:57 PM

I'll bet a kilt is nice and cool on a hot day.

I aint gonna try it though.

#40 RePete

RePete

Sue

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,570 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 02:49 PM

I'll bet a kilt is nice and cool on a hot day.

I aint gonna try it though.

Why?

Haven't got the legs for it? :roflol:
RePete

MFWIC
DILLIGAF

Stercus Accidit = Latin for Shit Happens

Nice try = you suck spelled different

Proud member of the WTFDTSG club

#41 Steve Koski

Steve Koski

Beyond it All

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 06:31 PM

Um, nevermind.

#42 RePete

RePete

Sue

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,570 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 05:24 AM

Um, nevermind.

What! You think you're THAT well hung? :roflol: :cheers:
RePete

MFWIC
DILLIGAF

#43 freeidaho

freeidaho

Sees Sights

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:04 AM

It conceals, and cools.... choose from 4 smart colors.

http://www.palmflex....eluxe_vests.htm

They are great for riding on hot days but you get a lot more cooling going 85mph. Haven't tried mine at a match yet.

I'm interested in this vest. Does it feel dry or wet or damp when wearing it?

Thanks!

kr
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
+-+ freeidaho -at- yahoo -dot- com ................................. There is a $5 fine for whining
|--\ http://www.parmarng....ho/default.html .............. You are what you do, everything else is just talk.
|---| http://xlforum.net/v...ad.php?t=999415 .. If life throws you a curve, lean into it and apply throttle.
/----\ http://www.parmarng.org ................................... Eat, sleep, live, love and ride motorcycles.
|*----/\ ....................... Wouldn't be an economic crisis if you had bought AMERICAN.
|------| ...................... Spent most of my money on cars, motorcycles, guns and girls, the rest I just wasted.
+------+

#44 RobMoore

RobMoore

Calls Shots

• Classified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:30 AM

From the pictures I think
#1 It looks too ridiculous to be worn at a match
#2 It would have to be ordered 2 sizes too large to hang low enough to pass the "arms out" test of covering the gun.

Edited by RobMoore, 03 July 2008 - 08:31 AM.

A58581 / A28264

1911 Elitist #57

#45 Steve Koski

Steve Koski

Beyond it All

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 11:24 PM

Um, nevermind.

That's not what I was thinking, but thanks for the compliment.

#46 RePete

RePete

Sue

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,570 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 04:35 AM

Um, nevermind.

That's not what I was thinking, but thanks for the compliment.

Don't flatter yourself. :surprise:

FWIW there was a competitor wearing a kilt at the IDPA Nationals last year.

But we digress, let's get back on track.

It's about concealment vests in hot weather.
RePete

MFWIC
DILLIGAF

#47 freeidaho

freeidaho

Sees Sights

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 06:42 AM

From the pictures I think
#1 It looks too ridiculous to be worn at a match
#2 It would have to be ordered 2 sizes too large to hang low enough to pass the "arms out" test of covering the gun.

Rob,
We often shoot in over 100 degree weather, with no shade. Out last match was only 99 degrees. So some cooling would be a good thing. As for coverage, no problem. Think IWB.

kr
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
+-+ freeidaho -at- yahoo -dot- com ................................. There is a $5 fine for whining
|--\ http://www.parmarng....ho/default.html .............. You are what you do, everything else is just talk.
|---| http://xlforum.net/v...ad.php?t=999415 .. If life throws you a curve, lean into it and apply throttle.
/----\ http://www.parmarng.org ................................... Eat, sleep, live, love and ride motorcycles.
|*----/\ ....................... Wouldn't be an economic crisis if you had bought AMERICAN.
|------| ...................... Spent most of my money on cars, motorcycles, guns and girls, the rest I just wasted.
+------+

#48 Trail3

Trail3

Sees Sights

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 09:31 AM

When it is over 85 I wear a mesh type vest.
Gun does show some at the side but no one has ever said anything to me in over 5 years
Since it is so light weight it is a disadvantage with my draw compared to the 511 or Woolrich.
This is worn only at our local club matches.
At regional or state match I use a 511 or the Woolrich, and when it is cooler weather.
Best shirt for hot weather is the Tech Wear. Great product.
"If you can't shoot good, at least look good shooting."

#49 Aircooled6racer

Aircooled6racer

Hello:Thanks,Eric.

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,245 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 12:39 PM

Hello: How about going to a Goodwill/thrift store and buy a old suit vest that is larger than you normally wear. I just thought of this and may try that. Thanks, Eric

#50 RePete

RePete

Sue

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,570 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 01:30 PM

Hello: How about going to a Goodwill/thrift store and buy a old suit vest that is larger than you normally wear. I just thought of this and may try that. Thanks, Eric

NO!

Coodies! :ph34r: :goof:
RePete

MFWIC
DILLIGAF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users