18 replies to this topic

#1 JimmyZip

JimmyZip

Big Daddy Jimbo

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 07:45 PM

It happened to a nice guy and if you are not careful with your 550, it could happen to you. ( Or me!)

We were shooting I beleive, the OUter Limits. He was on his second string and I hear pop, pop, pop, BLAM! :blink:
Then a collective "Whoa are you allright?" Well besides a stinging palm he was alright, but that glock is history. I took pics with my phone, but I can't put them on my computer. The rails that the slide ride on were sripped from the frame, and the barrel,(I think it was a Lone Wolf?) was split at thechamber.
No squib in the barrel. Figure it must have been a double charge. the guy uses a 550, another person said you gotta be careful,DUH

Can this happen on a SDB? I only weigh every 50th charge, is that enough?

Crazy things happen in this sport.
JZ
no better place than here.. no better time than now....

#2 Merlin Orr

Merlin Orr

This Forum is full of em...(truly nice people)

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,697 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 07:54 PM

Much harder to do the double charge thing with a SDB than a 550. But anything is possible and it CAN happen to any one of us.

Keep the loading room free of distractions.......

Glad the guy still has his fingers and eyes....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.” Samuel Adams, 1780

If not now, when? If not us, who?

Coastal Bend Shooters USPSA - IDPA - ICORE - 3 Gun

Rio Grande Valley Shooters

Texas Carbine

#3 XRe

XRe

I make snappy comments...and, wonder...

• Forum Dealer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,917 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:07 PM

Double charges and squibs can happen on any of the presses (ask Jake di Vita about his squib that he loaded on his 650....). It all depends on what happens while you're loading.... The 550 is a little easier, obviously, to do that with - you must develop a good working process on any press to insure that you don't make any mistakes...

As far as your buddy goes, have him call Glock - they'll at least help him get the gun rebuilt, etc....
Dave Re - A-25626 - http://drperformanceshooting.com - http://re-gun.blogspot.com
SOB #2 - The Envianator

"...we are breaking through all those sacred maxims of our forefathers, and giving alarm to every wise man on the continent of America, that all his rights depend on the will of men whose corruptions are notorious, who regard him as an enemy, and who have no interest in his prosperity." - George Johnstone, addressing the British House of Commons, October 26, 1775

"Of course I can count to three!! For God's sake, I'm already shooting at a fifth grade level!!!"
Stewie Griffin

#4 dcarter

dcarter

Burned Out

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:42 PM

As you said, It could happen to anyone. At least, in this case, he was ok. That, in the end, is what matters.
"One of Cincinnati's finest." Well, one of Cincinnati's anyway.
Freedom Gunworks team

#5 CenTX

CenTX

Calls Shots

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:04 PM

On my 550 I try use powders that fill the case over half full. If I double charge, powder would overflow the case and it's pretty obvious.

I have a light set up where I can look in the case as I set the bullet. It's still possible to screw up and not look and get a squibb, but I am more afraid of a double charge than a squibb.

Bob

"I have the Power thing down, it is the Speed and Accuracy that give me problems"

"Learning is not compulsory... neither is survival" - W. Edwards Deming

#6 Jman

Jman

Balance

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,895 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:08 PM

:surprise:

...for our newest members and anyone wishing to be reminded.

If one studies the process, understands it and practices age old techniques of re-manufacturing ammunition

the odds of this happening are nil. Virtually nonexistent.

What is the hurry?

Thank God no one was seriously hurt.

Producing good reloads is a lot like the game we shoot.

Crank out ammo no faster than you can produce guaranteed "A"s

Jim M

DRINK WATER ALL DAY...

...add Scotch at night.

#7 Micah

Micah

Yoga Guru

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,757 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 08:50 PM

I've saved several Glocks...and STIs from being blown up from squibs. Hopefully

Glad nobody was injured.
My YouTube Channel
'There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there,
you must go beyond them. A man must constantly exceed his level.' If
you're not better than you were the day before, then what are you
doing—what's the point?"
-Bruce Lee

#8 Johann the Horrible

Johann the Horrible

Civil

• Classified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 01:24 AM

Second Glock Kaboom, this week!

Whats up with the Glock guys, cant they reload or do the shooters of other guns keep quiet when they KABOOM their guns.
YOU HAVE ONE LIFE - LIVE IT!

Who is Mike?

#9 psyops

psyops

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 08:42 PM

I know this sounds really anal, but I case guage and weigh each round. For every 1000rds I crank out on my 650, I'll "discover" 1or 2 squib wannabes and maybe 1 'hot' load. My STIs and my Glocks thank me.
Just my $0.02. :)
US Army 1985-1995, 1LT
Airborne PSYOPS/AG
Desert Storm/Panama

#10 DonT

DonT

Calls Shots

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 10:26 PM

Glad nobody was hurt. From day one I put a light over my 550 and watch every powder drop. Now it's just natural and I'm glad I do it.

DonT
DonT

#11 boz1911

boz1911

A senior.....again

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,860 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 03:58 AM

I never set a bullet on the case without "seeing" the powder, whether it's my 550 or 1050! And I do not allow distractions.
TY54309 Team Swiss Cake Rolls
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheBoz1911 - comments welcome

#12 Steve J

Steve J

Anchovies and onions.

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 05:20 PM

Second Glock Kaboom, this week!

Whats up with the Glock guys, cant they reload or do the shooters of other guns keep quiet when they KABOOM their guns.

Well, let's see. One of the local guys was doing the live fire portion of his CHL, when he lodged a bullet in the barrel from a squib and then pumped another in behind it. Crack, but no Kaboom. Wilson Combat 1911 45 ACP. It cracked the barrel, but didn't damage anything else on the gun.

New underwear: $10
Replacement barrel installed by Wilson: $300
Not having to pick plastic out of your hand and face: Priceless

The bigger the KABOOM, the bigger the story I guess.
Steve J (Anchovies, Marmite and other savory things)

Support Practical Shooting By Using Practical Equipment

A17557 IDPA - Custom Defensive Pistol
A51440 USPSA - 1911 Single Stack

Copperas Cove Pistol Club http://sports.groups...CovePistolClub/

Check out my map: Texas Ranges with Practical Pistol Matches

#13 mr1911

mr1911

Looks for Match

• Classified
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:25 PM

One of my shooting buddies swore off factory reloads when a squib cost him the barrel of a classic Colt .357 python....not a cheap and easy fix.
Foxhole religion should be a constant state of mind

#14 Carl

Carl

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 10:00 AM

I never set a bullet on the case without "seeing" the powder, whether it's my 550 or 1050! And I do not allow distractions.

EXACTLY! I have a "reflector" light that I shine on my 650, set to "cast a shadow" about where the powder should be in the case. Give me a good visual indication that everything is ok. It's a little slower, but being sure is better than faster

#15 Harmon

Harmon

Burned Out

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 09:57 AM

the plastic glock uses is 10x better for explosions than wooden or hard plastic grips on a 1911 as they do not shatter into small splinters.

wood splinters suck.

harmon

Always shoot to win.

[b]
Harmon Greer TY50568

#16 38superman

38superman

Problem Child...who...Steps on Toes

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 11:37 AM

I have been loading on a 650 for a couple of years and have never double charged a case.

I have produced one squib.
That scares me as much as a double charge.

When it happened, there was no noise other than the click of the hammer falling.
I thought I had a failure to feed so I racked the slide and kept going.

The only thing that saved me was that the bullet didn't travel far enough down the bore to allow another cartridge to chamber.
The gun didn't quite go into battery.

I have a powder check device on the loader that's supposed to alert me when a case has too much or not enough powder.
In spite of this, I found a way to omit the powder in one of the many thousands of rounds I have pumped out of the 650.

Since then, I bought a small inspection mirror with a telescoping handle.
I took a hose clamp and clamped to the back of the 650 frame.
The mirror is round and about the size of a quarter.
It has a swivel built into the handle and I can set it to look down into the case as I'm working.

That way I can visually verify that there is powder in the case as I'm placing the bullet.

I find this especially comforting when using powders like Titegroup.
Without the mirror I can't see the powder at all while loading.
A normal charge doesn't even fill half the case in a .40 or 45.

Nothing is fool proof but this adds another layer of defense against the dreaded zero/double charge.

Tony

Edited by 38superman, 22 May 2008 - 11:40 AM.

Single Stack Elitist Snob Club #39

"POGs,... The first step to a cure is to admit you have a problem"

"With a steely grin... I dust the big spider off of my trusty single stack, and draw it forth from the dark and neglected shadows of my past. RISE UP oh Ernie Hill speed leather...drink deep the oil of preperation and ready thyself for BATTLE" - Gentleman Jim

#17 L9X25

L9X25

Beyond it All

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 11:46 AM

I exclusively loaded on a 550 for over 10 years without incident. You have to lock yourself in the room and remove all distractions. Allowing the wife, kids, dog, TV, or whatever to distract you, even for one second, can be very dangerous.

I personally hate reloading but realize that I do not spend much time actually reloading. I can afford to devote 100% of my attention to the process for the short time that I am doing it. If you mess up while loading on a 550 it is certainly NOT the presses fault.
opinions vary...

L-1771

#18 Duane Thomas

Duane Thomas

Story Teller

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,158 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 04:37 PM

I think the reason you hear the Glock KB stories is it's just so impressive when a casing lets loose inside a polymer framed gun. I've been on the range at a class with a guy who let his brother load his class ammo for his Glock 21. I wasn't actually watching at the moment the gun blew but I got to see the aftereffects. The frame split all the way from the dustcover to the base of the frontstrap, all along the mold line, and the trigger blew out of the gun. That night the guy went to a gun store and bought himself another Glock 21. He showed up the next day with his new gun and I asked him, "So, you still firing your brother's handloads?" For some reason he didn't find that funny. I don't understand why. I'm a funny guy. :devil:

OTOH I have personally blown two casings in a steel framed 1911. In both instances the magazine was trashed but other than that no damge to the gun or shooter. Of course I was running Pachmayrs with the steel insert at the time. Just pound the Pachmayrs back flat, stick a new magazine in the gun and drive on.
Pride and fear are emotions, which hope for an outcome. Outcomes take your attention from the present, where the shooting happens, to the future. It is totally impossible to do anything in the future, because it hasn't happened yet. The key to shooting your best is to be present as the witness of the shooting. Do not judge, do not give yourself anything to live up to. We can only shoot as well as we have trained ourselves to shoot. To try to shoot only induces stress. Be content with your current ability. And accumulate practice to improve that ability. Consolidate, build strength where you feel weakness. We cannot raise our ability until we accept our current limitations. Practice dissolves limitations. Matches simply define where the current limits exist. The game of shooting is all about redefining our limits.
- Sam

Amateurs do it til they get it right. Professionals do it til they can't get it wrong.

"It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters."
- Paul "Bear" Bryant

"The only reason why Everest is the highest mountain ever climbed is because it's the highest. If there was one higher, I bet there'd be people trying to climb it."
- Jack Barnes

#19 oddjob

oddjob

Calls Shots

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 09:07 AM

I agree with the "light" over the press practice..........I see the powder first......then the bullet goes.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users