#1 JSGlock34

JSGlock34

Looks for Range

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 04:11 PM

Howdy!

I recently found out that my range is going to begin holding the occasional 3-gun match. I shoot IDPA regularly but haven't had much opportunity to get into 3-gun. Though I'm set with a pistol and rifle, I'll need to pick up a shotgun to participate. Hence, my first post here...

My research so far suggests that the Benellis are at the top of the pyramid, though the Remington 1100 and Winchester SX2/FN SLP lines seem to have their loyal followers. I've been looking intently at the SLP, since the Winchester has been discontinued and the Benellis are a bit out of my price range (especially considering how often I plan on shooting - see below).

Recently I've been noticing the Mossberg 930 SPX getting some attention. Now I've heard mixed reviews about Mossberg semi-autos, but the 930SPX seems to have a lot of great features at a really attractive price point. I've yet to read anyting negative about the SPX - in fact, all I'm coming across on the internet are rave reviews. Plus, I can't help but notice that it looks just like the 18" SLP - down to the LPA sights and rail.

Posted Image
FN SLP 18"

Posted Image
Mossberg 930SPX

Has anyone used the Mossberg 930 SPX for three gun or compared it to the other models? While I'll continue to shoot IDPA monthly, the range is looking to offer 3-gun only 2-3 times per year, so this shotgun is going to spend a good amount of time in the safe and taken out only occasionally. With that in mind, I can pick up the Mossberg for about $500 and the SLP for $800, so the price difference is considerable.

Thoughts? Appreciate the help.

Edited by JSGlock34, 25 October 2007 - 04:14 PM.

#2 Merlin Orr

Merlin Orr

This Forum is full of em...(truly nice people)

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,697 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 04:19 PM

Jarrett - Welcome to the forums! :cheers:

Can't address your question directly but I will say I had a Mossberg pump for years and it was a really nice and smooth pump gun. Has/had the twin rails and worked as well (IMO) as my Remmy 870. I would get a gun with a 21 barrel though...

Edited by Merlin Orr, 25 October 2007 - 04:20 PM.

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.” Samuel Adams, 1780

If not now, when? If not us, who?

Coastal Bend Shooters USPSA - IDPA - ICORE - 3 Gun

Rio Grande Valley Shooters

Texas Carbine

#3 TRUBL

TRUBL

Beyond it All

• Forum Dealer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:00 PM

One I am going to be looking at is the S&W shotguns......stay tuned
TACCOM Website

TACCOM dealer forum

click to email:TIM@TACCOM3G.COM

Yes, as a matter of fact, I am finally incharge of my own destiny.....with help from above

#4 JakeMartens

JakeMartens

aka: fortyfiveshooter

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,419 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:10 PM

I thought that the Mossberg looked nice, felt good when I was checking it, didn't get to shoot it. It is only 7+1 compared to the others being 8+1, shotgunning in 3gun is all about ammo management and reloading.
Jake Martens
A52987
Indiana USPSA Section Coordinator
Indiana USPSA Championship

http://www.uspsaindiana.org/
Shooting Videos

#5 Carlos

Carlos

Back From the Dead

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 10:04 PM

If it is a copy of the Browning Gold/SX-2, then you could adapt a SpeedFeed pistol grip stock for the 1100 to it w/ out much problem (provided its legal - is this a USA made gun?).
No, my last name is not Hathcock. -C.

"When one who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest." -anon.

Posted Image
March 2008

#6 JSGlock34

JSGlock34

Looks for Range

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 03:39 PM

Thanks for the kind welcome. The more I read the more I think the SPX would make an excellent entry level semi for competition/home defense use.

Some additional questions...

1) Is 7+1 vs 8+1 really a significant difference in 3-gun?
2) What's the major advantage of the pistol grip in competition? I've read that Choate will be offering a pistol grip stock for this shotgun in December.

I don't believe the Mossberg is a direct copy of the Browning/Winchester SX2/FN SLP, though as the picture shows there is definitely a strong resemblance. Perhaps the Mossberg's design was influenced by the SX2/SLP. The Mossberg differs significantly in the placement of the safety (which is on the tang vice on the rear of the trigger guard). Not sure how the internals are similar or different - might be interesting to see one stripped.

#7 StealthyBlagga

StealthyBlagga

Special Little Snowflake

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 06:49 PM

Ammo capacity is a big deal... less rounds = more time on the clock loading, plus less flexibility how you shoot the stage. I shoot a Rem11-87 with a 10+1 mag tube; yes, I can only start with 9 in the gun, but once the buzzer goes off I have a lot more options in how I shoot the stage (under IMGA rules anyway).

The big thing to look at is how easy it is to load more shells in the mag tube. It looks like there might be a lifter release button on the side - if this has to be held in as the gun os loaded, this is a significant handicap.

I looked at the various models on the Mossberg website - most of the long barrels have ported barrels, which are illegal for limited/Tactical division in most 3-gun matches.

Lastly, if you want to use a pistol grip stock, then the Mosberg is not such a great choice due to the placement of the safety. Also, be aware of 922r issues if the gun is made overseas.

Edited by StealthyBlagga, 26 October 2007 - 06:56 PM.

#8 JSGlock34

JSGlock34

Looks for Range

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 08:53 AM

Mossberg markets the 930 as made in the USA. I don't believe there are any 922R compliance issues.

#9 Taildraggerdave

Taildraggerdave

Looks for Target

• Classified
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 07:16 PM

This is a fairly old thread. Anyone have anything new to add? I have been looking at the 930SPX as well...

Take care,
Dave

#10 astephenson

astephenson

aka: WellArmedSheep

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:43 PM

I'm probably going to order a 930 SPX tomorrow. I originally intended to buy a 930 24" Turkey and add a mag extension, but then I learned that the ported barrel was a no-go for limited and tactical. Bummer. I'll end up putting a Choate extension on the SPX eventually (even though it'll stick out past the muzzle a couple inches) to bump the capacity up to 8+1.
Alex Stephenson

Jack of all trades...master of none.

A26175/A61923

#11 sfinney

sfinney

aka shooter40

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:48 PM

This is a fairly old thread. Anyone have anything new to add? I have been looking at the 930SPX as well...

Take care,
Dave

search is your friend.

http://www.brianenos...?...&hl=930 spx
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein

#12 Taildraggerdave

Taildraggerdave

Looks for Target

• Classified
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 04:53 AM

Take care,
Dave

search is your friend.

Thanks.
I did search. Typed in 930SPX and got this thread and a thread about a 10.5" AR upper.......... :mellow:

#13 sfinney

sfinney

aka shooter40

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:21 AM

Take care,
Dave

search is your friend.

Thanks.
I did search. Typed in 930SPX and got this thread and a thread about a 10.5" AR upper.......... :mellow:

I typed in "930 SPX".
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users