13 replies to this topic

#1 David Sinko

David Sinko

Calls Shots

• Classified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 07:15 AM

Does Speer still make the old 200 gr. JHP "Flying Ashtray?" Or has it been replaced by the Gold Dot? It's not listed on their website and their online question submission form isn't working for me. I see Dillon sells a 200 gr. JHP but I don't know if this is the same one or not.

Dave Sinko

#2 Intel6

Intel6

Beyond it All

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 08:05 AM

I am pretty sure they stopped making that bullet years ago, not sure if it was replaced by the Gold dot? I found a shop with some old stock and bought 3 boxes (all they had) of them for future use.

Neal in AZ

#3 Guy Neill

Guy Neill

Calls Shots

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:04 PM

The "Flying Ashtray" was intended to be replaced with a Gold Dot about 15 years ago. Several of us argued that it was popular, and they left it in the line until the equipment used to make it was retired maybe ten years ago. The 200gr Gold Dot replaced it then.

Guy

#4 David Sinko

David Sinko

Calls Shots

• Classified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 06:33 AM

Thanks for the responses. I have occasionally been finding this bullet for sale up until last year. The 200 gr. Gold Dot just does not have that wide a hollow point, which is what I want. I have seen a 200 gr. "revolver" Gold Dot Hollow Point listed for sale (I think from Midway) which they claim has a cannelure and I presume the wider, sharper nose profile common to the revolver Gold Dot bullets. But then this isn't listed on the Speer website either!

Dave Sinko

#5 epj

epj

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 08:38 PM

Thanks for the responses. I have occasionally been finding this bullet for sale up until last year. The 200 gr. Gold Dot just does not have that wide a hollow point, which is what I want. I have seen a 200 gr. "revolver" Gold Dot Hollow Point listed for sale (I think from Midway) which they claim has a cannelure and I presume the wider, sharper nose profile common to the revolver Gold Dot bullets. But then this isn't listed on the Speer website either!

Dave Sinko

I have a box of Speer 200 gr JHP's from about 20 years ago. What is the stock number of the "flying ashtray"? That's probably what these are.

#6 Huston in Austin

Huston in Austin

Sees Sights

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 09:28 PM

Dave Sinko

I have a box of Speer 200 gr JHP's from about 20 years ago. What is the stock number of the "flying ashtray"? That's probably what these are.

It is easy to tell if it is a flying ashtray. Take a pencil with eraser, if the eraser fits in the hollow point it is a flying ashtray.
Huston in Austin
Dawson Precision Tech Support.

Posted Image
April 2008

#7 epj

epj

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 11:02 AM

Dave Sinko

It is easy to tell if it is a flying ashtray. Take a pencil with eraser, if the eraser fits in the hollow point it is a flying ashtray.

Well, the pencil eraser fits, so it must be the ashtrays. Speer number is 4477. I seem to have most of a box of them. Now I'll have to decide what to load them with and then what to do with the loaded rounds.

#8 LPatterson

LPatterson

Reached Saturation Now Burnt Toast

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,588 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 11:09 AM

They work great for pumpkins after Halloween, pieces are usually too small to pick up.
LeRoy Patterson
Eagle Firearms Instruction LLC
NRA Pistol Instructor
101st Airborne 1957-60
US Air Force 1961-80 Retired

#9 Derek45

Derek45

Calls Shots

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 05:46 PM

Having killed a few deer with Speer Gold Dot handloads, 240gr.44, 230gr.45ACP, I have to say they do a fine job !

:cheers:
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

-Jeff Cooper

#10 Peterdaw

Peterdaw

Looks for Match

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 04:48 AM

Well, the pencil eraser fits, so it must be the ashtrays. Speer number is 4477. I seem to have most of a box of them. Now I'll have to decide what to load them with and then what to do with the loaded rounds.

Yes 4477 is the Flying Ashtray. I had some factory ammo both CCI Lawman and Blazer. I am now down to my last box of projectiles. I load with 6.7grains of Clays Universal which gives me 940fps in a 5". Interestingly in a recent article in American Handgunner, they report this powder as having no muzzle flash. Just the thing for when things go bump in the night.

Peter

#11 Harmon

Harmon

Burned Out

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 07:41 AM

there are still a few boxes of cci blazer 200 grain hollow point bullets floating around, they were loaded with the rest of the "flying ashtray" bullets.

I have some of the bullets, loaded with 6.0 grains of 231, they make my glock 21 a bowling pin monster.

Harmon

Always shoot to win.

[b]
Harmon Greer TY50568

#12 benny hill

benny hill

Mr. Modest

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 08:32 AM

Loaded them for years with 8.0 gr. of unique for about 1200 fps. Killed well.
benny hill

#13 epj

epj

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 05:00 PM

Are we talking about a .45 ACP @ 1200 FPS here? Sounds pretty stout!

#14 Derek45

Derek45

Calls Shots

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 05:39 PM

Are we talking about a .45 ACP @ 1200 FPS here? Sounds pretty stout!

.45 SUPER can do it.

I've loaded up .45SUPER for deer season with a 5" S&W 625.

here's some load data:

click
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

-Jeff Cooper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users