20 replies to this topic

#1 ParaJoe

ParaJoe

Sees Sights

• Classified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 01:23 AM

I wasn't sure if this was the place being as I am talking about springs or if it should have gone in the Glock forum, but if I'm wrong someone will move it. Anywho, I busted my factory guiderod in my G22 and bought a stainless steel one to replace it. Along with it I bought a 13lb and 15lb ISMI spring. I put the 13lb in it and ran about 50 rounds through it no problem. Same with the 15 pounder. I liked the feel of the 13lb better. Which one should I use? The 13 or 15. Sorry, I'm new to playing with springs.

JOe
Keep L-10!!!!

#2 Sean Gaines

Sean Gaines

Burned Out

• Forum Dealer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 10:06 PM

i guess you were pretty lucky to be able to get a 13lb to work in a 22, most of the time it takes a 15lb, on my guns its the 13lb for the 9mm and 15lb for the .40 cal.

http://www.powerfactorshooting.com/

Pistol Accessories
3gun Accessories
Rimfire Accessories
Reloading Accessories

10% off of Briley Mfg Merchandise for Brian Enos members use the coupon code "shotgun" at checkout
Click above......

Be Freinds with us on Facebook: http://www.facebook....00003038570175#!/profile.php?id=100003038570175

AKA in some circles as the "Ninja Assassin"

#3 Chris Keen

Chris Keen

Sees Sights

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,064 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 10:11 PM

If your 13 lbs spring works for you , then by all means use it. It WILL feel better. Use it for as long as it works for you. I cant get anything less than 15 lbs to work in mine.

Chris Keen
Phoenix Trinity Shooting Team

Rainier Ballistics Shooting Team
USPSA # A-46956
>>>My You Tube Videos<<<

#4 ParaJoe

ParaJoe

Sees Sights

• Classified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 02:24 PM

Well when I put the 15lb spring in it was REALLY long. Right around an inch and a quarter longer than the 13lb'er. It also smashed when the slide went all the way back. From what I interpreted through the vast amount of info on this site, smashing the spring is bad. So I ended up hacking off four coils, one at a time, until it fit in there without binding (I think that's the term.) It then felt the same as the 13lb spring when racking the slide. But not when shooting it. Please correct me if I am wrong, have ruined my 15lb spring, or am being a moron.

Edit.. I didn't chop the 13lb. It worked like a champ.

JOe

Edited by ParaJoe, 14 June 2006 - 02:26 PM.

Keep L-10!!!!

#5 JFD

JFD

R.I.P.

• Classified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 03:49 PM

I'm running a 13 lb spring in my G35 for both major and minor loads.
A46674

#6 cmzneb

cmzneb

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 06:56 PM

I tried both 13# and 15# ISMI springs in my Glock 34 and Glock 35. They shoot softer, but the trade off in reliability was not worth it for me. After a couple malfunctions in matches I finally realized that the stock guide rod is the best. Gun works every time!

Chris Zeeb
www.neccwtraining.com

#7 jessej

jessej

Calls Shots

• Classified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 12:22 PM

Use whatever feels best for you and runs 100%. I run a 13 pound ISMI no problemo.

#8 Harmon

Harmon

Burned Out

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 02:15 PM

its MHO that anything under 15 pounds is too light for a major load in a glock.

at 15 pounds, the spring doesnt last as long and the brass gets ejected "muy alto!"

Always shoot to win.

[b]
Harmon Greer TY50568

#9 norbs007

norbs007

Beyond it All

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 05:09 PM

I use a 15 lb. spring with 3 coils cut on my G22. Shoots good with factory 180gr and my 4.7 gr. Titegroup 180gr bullet load.
Cool as a fool!

Norbert Baraoidan
USPSA L-2249
Be My Facebook Friend

#10 ParaJoe

ParaJoe

Sees Sights

• Classified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 09:25 PM

Well I shot a match today with the 13lb spring and it worked like a champ. I like it a lot.

JOe
Keep L-10!!!!

#11 Joe D

Joe D

Beyond it All

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 04:18 AM

I run a 13# ISMI with a couple of coils cut for major and a 10# spring for minor in my G35. Never had a problem with either.

#12 pbosik

pbosik

Sees Sights Lift

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 01:55 PM

i have a ismi guide rod and 13 and 15lb spring, the 13 seems to not fully go into battery, the 15 with minor loads seems to barely eject the cases and i have had jams with both.
it is a glock 35..now i am unsure myself. should i go back to the factory setup?
SSEC Member #96
Paper People Killer
Mission Essential shooting team member

#13 DaG

DaG

Sees Sights Lift

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 05:37 AM

I run a 13# ISMI with a couple of coils cut for major and a 10# spring for minor in my G35. Never had a problem with either.

How light is your striker spring?
DaG
If you're not moving you're losing - Jerry Miculek, Rockcastle Pro-AM Clinic

#14 pbosik

pbosik

Sees Sights Lift

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 05:57 AM

hi big D.. the striker and spring are stock..will the lighter recoil spring eject farther or is it the heavier? i cant remember...
SSEC Member #96
Paper People Killer
Mission Essential shooting team member

#15 smokshwn

smokshwn

Medicina Bona Locis Malis

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 07:01 AM

I ran a 13lb spring in my g35 with no problem for both major and minor loads. I liked the feel very much.

Good luck, Craig
Team FIREBIRD

A friend of mine told me "Your work has really made you cynical" my reply was "Cynical.....I passed cynical five years ago....I now live in reality"

Considering the amount of fancy equipment now seen in competition, some readers have complained loudly that the 'average guy' does not have a chance. It might be pointed out that this average guy never has had a chance. Competition is held to determine what is best, not what is average. And if all the equipment were standardized, the man who won would still not be in any sense average.

The Mondays

#16 ParaJoe

ParaJoe

Sees Sights

• Classified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 03:33 PM

i have a ismi guide rod and 13 and 15lb spring, the 13 seems to not fully go into battery, the 15 with minor loads seems to barely eject the cases and i have had jams with both.
it is a glock 35..now i am unsure myself. should i go back to the factory setup?

If I let the slide go lightly on mine in won't go into battery with the 13lb spring. It needs force or the speed of it slamming shut when firing to work. I'm shooting a G22 so I cannot directly to your problems. Did you cut any coils yet?

Joe
Keep L-10!!!!

#17 Stuck in C

Stuck in C

Sees Sights Lift

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 12:47 PM

I used a 13 lb spring and reduced power striker spring in my G34 for 3 years, but it only ran about 98%-one or two light firing pin strikes in every 100-120 round match. I liked the way it felt but it just was not reliable enough. The 13 lb spring with the stock striker spring failed to go into battery at about the same rate (once or twice in 120 rounds). Iv'e now gone back to both springs stock-100% now. But, I shoot limited major with a G35 with 15 lb recoil spring and reduced power striker and it runs perfectly. So whatever works for you.
"The difference between the tax man and a taxidermist is, the taxidermist leaves the skin." - Mark Twain

#18 dskinsler83

dskinsler83

Burned Out

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:59 AM

Moderator note: merged threads
What is better for major power factor .40 in a glock 35? Heavy spring like 20# or lghter like 15#??? I feel like the 20# spring is really beating my hands up

Daniel Scott Kinsler
TN EMT-P
NRA Member
USPSA A-70905
NROI RO L1

#19 McGlock

McGlock

Sees Target

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:14 PM

Correct me if I am wrong.. But the 17 pound springs(stock) were used for high power ammo like law enforcement jhp ammo that has a power factor of 180 plus.. So I see most guys going less.. I've seen 15# and as low as 13# in limited glocks..

#20 Flexmoney

Flexmoney

All Seeing and All Knowing Eye

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,921 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:52 PM

Moderator note: I merged the latest thread into this one, and bumped up a few more threads that were related.

Please do a search and posting in an existing thread before starting a new thread, when possible.

- Admin.
Thank you,

Kyle F.
Brian Enos Forum Administrator
Area 5 Director - USPSA
Chief Range Officer
NRA Instructor

*** I'm a shooter! ***

"Do you even [see your sights] lift???" - unknown

#21 C.W.

C.W.

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 02:58 PM

I currently use an ismi 13 pound spring on a stock glock guide rod with a lightened trigger spring (vanek)in my glock 35 - shooting minor pf loads (IDPA is the only game available to me). It works 100% - with federal primers - light strikes 1-2 out of 100 with winchester primers.

I just spent a session with my bone - stock out of the box g27 with the same load (180g berry's 2.9g clays) and it was 100% for 400 rounds.

When I first started using this load with the g35 and a standard trigger, it was 100% with 17,15, and 13 pound springs. The 13 just "felt" best.

Anyway, I wonder if the fast powder/heavy bullet combo might be a factor in making the gun more reliable through the range of different spring weights. (maybe a sharp jolt at the beginning of ignition makes the slide more repeatable than a steady push?)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users