Photo

Want to refit old 586 w/ bad chamber; maybe 38 Super conversion?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tortuga

tortuga

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:55 PM

I have an old 586 that was beaten to death in USPSA revolver 20 years ago. It has a fantastic trigger, chamfered chambers and 5 ports on the barrel. Overall it is in OK shape but I think one of the chambers got bulged due to a bad charge in a .357 case. I think it was a case of too little, too fast powder in a .357 case.

Still shoots and extracts .38 special OK but .357 loads are very tough to extract due to the one bad chamber.Main reason it has been in the safe for so long.

I'd like to give it another lease on life. Looking over the forums it seems that a 38 special chamber might work; If I have this right, the 38 Super case is straight walled at .3840, the .357 is .3790. Reaming the cylinder to 38 super and using moon clips would be kind of cool, and I'm not worried about making major with it; USPSA minor or ICORE power levels would be fine.

If all that worked I'd put a 4" mountain gun barrel on it and shoot the heck out of it.

#2 Bubber

Bubber

Burned Out

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,269 posts
  • Location:Hanna, Oklahoma From my house I can see Waltermitty standing on a car looking this way. ????

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:55 AM

It definately pay to have a gunsmith check the buldge's location to see if the 38 super reamer will fix it.

You can purchace a cylinder for the S&W L frame for about $145 and return it to a 38/ 357 or go with he 38 super conversion. I have had my L frame changed over to a 38 super and enjoy shooting it in USPSA. Hope this is helpful.
Bubber
D. O. Fish L. Redneck

Carpe Diem: Sieze the Day
Crappie Diem: Lets go Fishing
Crappy Diem: Might as well go fishing
There are things in my life I am not proud of. And the things that I am proud of are pretty disgusting... Moe Szlesak.

#3 10mmdave

10mmdave

Beyond it All

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:46 AM

Does the gun still shoot accurately with the one bulged chamber ?
If all your looking for is to go the moon clip route you could have your cylinder machined
and get a quantity of clips for the 38 spcl/SC/LC/SL (i.e. Super Length ) brass and
be done.
You mention that 38 special length brass extracts fine so you should be able to go to
the shorter lengths with out any problem.

Since you thinking about swapping the barrel out do you have plans to shoot this hybrid
in any competitions ? I only ask because the hybrids are only legal in certain arenas.

Good luck with your project, you've come to the right place for idea's I think.

#4 toothguy

toothguy

Beyond it All

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:58 AM

I think Warren (Toolguy) did a .40 cal conversion, with a new barrel of course. You might PM him at Protocol Design, he's a vendor here.
The drive to want to win is only an asset when it pushes you to practice better/more and develop your mental game. When you let it make decisions for you in a match it is never your friend. It will sing the siren song of shooting beyond your skill sets with predictable unpleasant results. The skills you bring that day are the only skills you have. No amount of desire will change that. Shoot your own game. Let the results sort themselves out after the match. My bet is that not only will you do better but you will enjoy the sport more. Rick Korzep.

#5 Jim Watson

Jim Watson

Beyond it All

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:30 AM

A .38 Super reamer MIGHT clean up the jugged chamber or the shorter case not get into the damaged spot.
Problem is, it will cost you the price of the work to find out and if it is not successful it is wasted and you are still on the hook for a new cylinder.

Maybe the gunsmith can tell with ID gauges or borescope.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users