25 replies to this topic

#1 outerlimits

outerlimits

Back From the Dead

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,102 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

Try this...don't pay yer uspsa activity count and do a match where the best 1 hit on paper counts. Interesting stuff. WTF are are shooting twice? Saves a sh$t load of ammo.
"We're Marines, We took Iwo Jima. Baghdad ain't shit." - Gen. Kelly, USMC

"We have two companies of Marines running rampant all over the northern half of this island, and three Army regiments pinned down in the southwestern corner, doing nothing. What the hell is going on? " - Gen. John W. Vessey Jr., USA, Chairman of the the Joint Chiefs of Staff; during the assault on Grenada, 1983

"A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range." - Jeff Cooper

"Character is doing what's right when nobody's looking." - J.C. Watts

#2 Sarge

Sarge

Back From the Dead

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,264 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

Are we really buying all this fancy gear to save money?

Kevin Sanders
US Army 1SG (Retired)
NROI Chief Range Officer
USPSA Match Director- Miami Rifle and Pistol club Cincinnati, Ohio
"Support" class shooter and proud of it!

Welcome to the internet version of a  gun free zone!  :mellow: 

#3 Flatland Shooter

Flatland Shooter

Back From the Dead

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

Sounds like you are a candidate for Steel Challenge.

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people.     I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

#4 outerlimits

outerlimits

Back From the Dead

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,102 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:55 PM

Sounds like you are a candidate for Steel Challenge.

Shot steel challenge from 1984 till around 1996-boring.

"We have two companies of Marines running rampant all over the northern half of this island, and three Army regiments pinned down in the southwestern corner, doing nothing. What the hell is going on? " - Gen. John W. Vessey Jr., USA, Chairman of the the Joint Chiefs of Staff; during the assault on Grenada, 1983

"A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range." - Jeff Cooper

#5 Nik Habicht

Nik Habicht

Voice of Reason

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,752 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:15 PM

Try this...don't pay yer uspsa activity count and do a match where the best 1 hit on paper counts. Interesting stuff. WTF are are shooting twice? Saves a sh$t load of ammo.

There's no current requirement for two per paper....

You could design a stage or match requiring one per or three per.....

Two per is simply the default state when nothing is specified.....
Nik

You're shooting Steel like an A class shooter. Why are you shooting the Paper so slowly? ---- Dave Marques, Production Nationals, 2005

This is a game of high-speed precision. If you don't precisely plan what you want to happen, there's not much chance that it will. ---- Brian Enos, 2004

#6 remoandiris

remoandiris

Beyond it All

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:27 AM

Are we really buying all this fancy gear to save money?

:roflol: +1!

#7 open17

open17

Beyond it All

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:46 AM

The "two per paper" is a default number, not a requirement. You can designate any number
you want in the WSB (up to a max of 8?). Just designate the correct number when generating
the scoresheets. Did you know you can designate different numbers of required hits per
target within the same COF? 1 hit on T1, 2 on T2, 6 on T3--whatever.

I do one per paper and 3 per paper fairly frequently---messes with the 2-shot-hammer-and-run
shooters. If you want to be a little evil, do 1 per, Virginia count.

And I pay my activity fees. That has nothing to do with rounds per target.

Edited by open17, 07 December 2012 - 06:50 AM.

"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom of Europe. the supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any bands of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United States.

Noah Webster

L-3292 CRO

#8 spanky

spanky

Burned Out

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,782 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:08 AM

How will this make things cheaper? You still will want to shoot the same amount of rounds, right? a 32 round course stil requires 32 rounds whether you use 1 per target @ 32 targets or 2 per at 16 targets. All you're doing is increasing the costs to the club by making them use twice as many targets to get the same amount of rounds that your "customers" want to shoot.

Edited by spanky, 07 December 2012 - 07:09 AM.

L3344 - CRO
Production - A, Limited - B, L10 - B, Single Stack - B
My Youtube Channel
Google Sketchup 3dWarehouse

#9 outerlimits

outerlimits

Back From the Dead

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,102 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:21 AM

Guys I'm not trying to change a thing. Just pointing out that shooting a COF where it's best 1 on paper is a bit different.

#10 bofe954

bofe954

Sees Sights Lift

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:10 AM

I've shot stages like that here and there. It would be fun to see a whole match that way. Would drop the hit factors by a ton, really make an accuracy oriented (and obviously transition oriented) match.

#11 bikerburgess

bikerburgess

Beyond it All

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:42 PM

one per stages are fun to watch, you will see several shooters going bang, pause, transition, bang, pause, transition. it is lots of fun and a good mental challenge.
some day I will talk my local MD into running a whole match with each stage requiring a different number of hits.

Mike

#12 Sarge

Sarge

Back From the Dead

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,264 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:48 PM

Guys I'm not trying to change a thing. Just pointing out that shooting a COF where it's best 1 on paper is a bit different.

Yes I hear you. At the Indiana Sectional a few years ago they threw in a one round per stage. Guess what I did on the very next stage? Yep one round per on the first two targets! Then went back to normal like nothing happened. finished up and got the bad news. I didn't even realize I did it. I was so focused on only putting one on target that it carried over a little.

Kevin Sanders
US Army 1SG (Retired)
NROI Chief Range Officer
USPSA Match Director- Miami Rifle and Pistol club Cincinnati, Ohio
"Support" class shooter and proud of it!

Welcome to the internet version of a  gun free zone!  :mellow: 

#13 remoandiris

remoandiris

Beyond it All

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

Requiring 6 rds on a "winger" can cause some funny moments.

#14 Heckler

Heckler

Sees Sights Lift

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

Shot a stage at Cherokee Gun Club awhile back that was best 3 shots per target. Seemed easy enough......until the buzzer. My brain and trigger finger are programmed for 2 shots per target.
Nothing is more uncommon, than common sense.

#15 bikerburgess

bikerburgess

Beyond it All

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:03 PM

Shot a stage at Cherokee Gun Club awhile back that was best 3 shots per target. Seemed easy enough......until the buzzer. My brain and trigger finger are programmed for 2 shots per target.

Watched a shooter go through a whole 3 per target stage soothing 2 per till the last array then watched them go back through shooting 1 per.

#16 MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

Sees Sights

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:35 PM

Area 3 Championship had a stage that was 1 hit per target and another that required 3 hits per target. It was fun!

USPSA TY-71392

Certified Glock Armorer

#17 lef-t

lef-t

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:20 PM

It never occurred to me to do a 32 round stage with 32 different targets and just require 1-per. Would be fun for a really long field course, but may be a pain to reset. I can see people getting mixed up and forgetting which targets they engaged and going nuts making sure they hit them all. Looks like I have my first stage of the next season to design :devil:

#18 motosapiens

motosapiens

Burned Out

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:44 PM

. All you're doing is increasing the costs to the club by making them use twice as many targets to get the same amount of rounds that your "customers" want to shoot.

but the targets will hold up for more shooters, so you get it right back.

#19 lawboy

lawboy

Sees Sights Lift

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:33 AM

Design an all-steel stage. Throw at least one popper in to make it legal. Instant one-shot-per-target stage with no additional cost to the club. In addition, anybody who gets through with just one shot per target will have done pretty well in the standings more than likely!

B.E.H.

Team Sacramento Black Rifle
IDPA # A25012
USPSA # A72688
NRA # 51068361
NROI RO
NRA CRO/Inst.

#20 Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

Sees Sights

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

Years ago I shot a stage at Norco or SWPL that was 1 shot on target 1, 2 shots on target 2, 3 shots on target 3 all the way up to target 10 which got 10 rounds. This was back in the day when a 10 round Super was the hot ticket. 55 round stage with 6 reloads IIRC.

#21 Jesse Tischauser

Jesse Tischauser

Team Stag Arms

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,174 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

I often shoot one hit on paper about 3 times per match and 3 hits on paper around 4-5 times.
Jesse Tischauser

#22 ktm300

ktm300

Calls Shots

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:21 AM

Last years Florida open had a 32 round stage 1 per paper. On top of that it was a stage that was memory intensive, and had triple half classic target swingers at close to 20 yards. Lots of people dropped lots of points on that one. Pretty sure it was stage 5. Manny is a sick pup, and I love shooting his matches because everything I shoot after them seems simple.

#23 aztecdriver

aztecdriver

Beyond it All

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:20 AM

Last years Florida open had a 32 round stage 1 per paper. On top of that it was a stage that was memory intensive, and had triple half classic target swingers at close to 20 yards. Lots of people dropped lots of points on that one. Pretty sure it was stage 5. Manny is a sick pup, and I love shooting his matches because everything I shoot after them seems simple.

Let's give credit due here. This stage was heinously devious. it was 32 classic targets as you say - with an INCREDIBLE assortment of ranges and difficulty of shots. The triple swinger - it had to be the minimum of 4 3/8" of A that's allowed stacked 3 high - not to mention I swear it was 35-40 yards. Probably at least 30.

Sick pup isn't even close to the level his diabolical genius goes.
Proud Member USPSA: TY63364 Open B, Limited B, Single Stack B, Production B

#24 ktm300

ktm300

Calls Shots

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

Sick pup isn't even close to the level his diabolical genius goes.

You gotta love Manny, he makes it a shooting contest for sure. If all you are is fast, you might as well not go.

#25 phearkno1

phearkno1

Looks for Range

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:20 PM

3 rounds per target would make me switch out of single stack and go limited!!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Why?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users