13 replies to this topic

#1 StjepanK

StjepanK

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:36 PM

What set up do you have and if you had a chance to do it over what would your set up look like?
I'm in the market and just trying to make my mind up on what i need/want to spend my money on.

Thanks

#2 Airedale

Airedale

Take a look at your shoes, I think you stepped in something.

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:55 PM

5.25, 9mm, PRP match trigger (I installed), magwell, large mag release.
Nothing exciting but works very well
Dave
NRA Life member, USPSA Life member, ICORE Life member
Sergeant Major, US Army (Retired)

#3 chevyoneton

chevyoneton

Sees Sights Lift

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:20 AM

5.25, 9mm, PRP match trigger (I installed), magwell, large mag release.
Nothing exciting but works very well
Dave

I don't disagree with any of that. I personally am running my USPSA Production rig, a .40 S&W 5.25 with the PRP Ultimate trigger and no other mods. I DO have three of my mags set up with Pistol Gear extensions that gets me 19 rounds in each one. I download .40 minor ammo anyway and have yet to see a stage where I would not have a reload even if I was running a 9mm and had more rounds in a mag. HOWEVER, if I did NOT reload, I would be running a 9mm no question. My CR Speed belt has a BladeTech DOH holster and some real cheap paddle mag pouches from CDNN with some of the paddle trimmed off to fit closer on my belt with all the other crap (rifle mag pouch, shotshell caddies, etc.) you need on your belt for 3-Gun. Since I also run this pistol in USPSA Production I can not have a magwell and don't really want one anyway, the stock opening is pretty big. I have considered an extended release and when I first got the XDm I thought I was going to HAVE to have one. Now, after a year of two or more matches a month and practice I don't feel the need for one. I still might try one though, just to mess with my gear like we will do sometimes.

#4 Airedale

Airedale

Take a look at your shoes, I think you stepped in something.

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:44 AM

Yup-forgot to add mag extensions.
Handy items.
Dave
NRA Life member, USPSA Life member, ICORE Life member
Sergeant Major, US Army (Retired)

#5 Marv Z

Marv Z

Calls Shots

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:41 PM

I use my XDM 5.25 9mm with Canyon Creeks mag extensions and a Pistol Gear magwell. 24+1 will get it done with one reload max.
Too many guns and not enough time....

#6 Bentsight

Bentsight

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:14 PM

On my 5.25 9mm xdm
Springer Precision: trigger bar, sear, springs, ext. grip safety and mag release
Powder River: ejector
Canyon Creek: 3/8" tungesten GR and mag extensions
Wolfe: recoil springs kit
Pistolgear: magwell for an xd (didn't like any that were available for xdm so I modded this one to fit)

#7 StjepanK

StjepanK

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:34 PM

On my 5.25 9mm xdm
Springer Precision: trigger bar, sear, springs, ext. grip safety and mag release
Powder River: ejector
Canyon Creek: 3/8" tungesten GR and mag extensions
Wolfe: recoil springs kit
Pistolgear: magwell for an xd (didn't like any that were available for xdm so I modded this one to fit)

Canyon Creek is offering 4p+ package in 9mm or .40 every upgrade you can immagine for $1750 is that a good deal?

#8 Bentsight

Bentsight

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:02 AM

^^^ Can't make that call for you, but I've never heard anything but good reviews about them or any of the other XD smiths known on here. I didn't have the $$$ to buy a package, so I had to do it a little at a time on my own on the 5.25 that I already owned. Personally if I had all the funds for a $1750.00 - $2000.00 package deal I would have just waited a little longer and bought the STI exactly how I wanted it, but that's just me.

#9 Avezorak

Avezorak

Beyond it All

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:07 AM

Im running my XDM 5.25 9mm with Springer 2# trigger in a Safariland ALS locking holster. 19 in the stock mags is plenty. If Dawson ever gets around to releasing their extended base pads and magwell, I will add those.
Aaron Vezorak

USPSA# A65587

My Youtube Videos
Watch out for those "FWG's"......

"There is no try"

#10 StjepanK

StjepanK

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:29 AM

^^^ Can't make that call for you, but I've never heard anything but good reviews about them or any of the other XD smiths known on here. I didn't have the $$$ to buy a package, so I had to do it a little at a time on my own on the 5.25 that I already owned. Personally if I had all the funds for a $1750.00 - $2000.00 package deal I would have just waited a little longer and bought the STI exactly how I wanted it, but that's just me.

Thanks, and your right I'm looking into STI since it's just a bit more$$.
But also may just go with a naked XDM and spend the rest on ammo and learning how to shoot it.

#11 StjepanK

StjepanK

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:34 AM

Im running my XDM 5.25 9mm with Springer 2# trigger in a Safariland ALS locking holster. 19 in the stock mags is plenty. If Dawson ever gets around to releasing their extended base pads and magwell, I will add those.

I hear you, 19 is plenty, not if you shoot as bad as me.lol
There is a magwell out there from pistolgear and CC i think.

#12 dohboy

dohboy

Looks for Target

• Classified
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:41 AM

Is your ALS holster made specifically for the XDM 5.25 or does it fit the XDM 5" and sticks out a little at the end?

#13 MarkCO

MarkCO

Back From the Dead

• Forum Dealer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,149 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:50 AM

Like Chevyoneton, I am running a 9mm (M&P Pro instead of an XDm, but same concept) optimized for Production in 3Gun, just have 4 magazines with extended baspads.

With all the crap on the belt, I like the less weight as compared to a metal framed pistol and the magwell again is extra weight and extension I don't feel I need. In the vast majority of 3Gun stages, if you do reload the pistol (with 24 rounds, kind of rare) you will have plenty of time to do it as you are running from spot to spot.

I use a BT holster and two of the single mag pouches and I have a double mag pouch if needed or better for a stage than two singles.

Have a very nice trigger job and some skate tape on the grip, serrated rear and FO green front sight.

CarbonArms.us

Entropy Engineering Corp

L3435

”The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”  Samuel Adams

#14 Powerslide91

Powerslide91

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:45 AM

Is your ALS holster made specifically for the XDM 5.25 or does it fit the XDM 5" and sticks out a little at the end?

I'd like to know this too. I'm a fan of the ALS but a while back when I looked on Safarilands website, I didn't see an ALS for the 5.25. Any chance you have a model number for the holster?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users