#1 seagiant

seagiant

Looks for Range

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:02 AM

Hi,
Just bought one of these and I'm not finding a lot of info. Anyone here use one??? Thanks!

Attached Files

#2 Jonathan Taliani

Jonathan Taliani

aka: jtaliani

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:12 AM

I've never even heard of a 300. It must be a very old school variant. It has some similarities to the current 550, but the 450 was prior to that. Even further back?

#3 Jonathan Taliani

Jonathan Taliani

aka: jtaliani

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:14 AM

Right from the source:

"Our first hobby-level progressive loader – The RL-300 – was a major learning experience. We built maybe 900 or 1000 of them, and lost about $100 on each one. This led to the RL-450, a less expensive machine to produce, and one that got the attention of the “big guys” in the reloading industry. By 1984, both Hornady and RCBS either had introduced or were preparing to introduce their own progressive reloaders, and they were much stronger than us in the distributor market. I wasn’t going to fight their fight. All good fighter pilots know that you don’t fight the other guy’s fight. Instead, I went into direct marketing. This was a go-for-broke thing. I spent every dollar I could raise on advertising. We had to sell 500 machines that month to pay for all the advertising we had purchased – we sold 5000."

That might be a collector's item.

#4 dillon

dillon

Looks for Covered Parking in Dillon's lot

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:07 AM

It appears to be reasonably complete, which is a good thing. The RL300 uses RL550 conversion kits, but other than the primer seating cup and some springs, no RL300 parts are available. We can send you a photocopy of the original manual, but setup is rather straightforward.

#5 AzShooter

AzShooter

angry dead man

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:35 AM

I used my 300 for years and loaded thousands of round of .38 and .45 osn it. It's pretty straight forward, just go slow and remember to push the primer bar and the powder bar when needed.

Good luck with it.
"Life's battles do not always go to the stronest or fastest man, but soon or late the man that wins is the one that thinks he can." Unknown Author

"You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."

~ John Quincy Adams

Steven Bressan

#6 Alvarez Kelly

Alvarez Kelly

Sees Target

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:55 PM

I have had several and still have one. It's a well made old press. Enjoy! :-)

#7 21 shooter

21 shooter

Sees Sights

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:39 PM

I remember seeing one in a gun shop I frequented many years ago. One of the owners sons told me to wait, that Dillon had a better machine coming out, something called the 450. The years do get by quickly don't they? I still have that 450.....and have added three other Dillon presses. :cheers: A great idea for it's time, especially when anything close to it's capability was priced well beyond the reach of the average shooter. Dillon boosted the shooting sports tremendously. It got shooters away from those single stage presses and out to the range.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users