32 replies to this topic

#1 CJW

CJW

Calls Shots

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:54 AM

I recently purchased a Savage Model 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmore and put a 20MOA Evolution Gun Works railed scope base on it. In a month or so, I ought to finish paying off the Nightforce 5.522x56 scope that will allow me to finally shoot the thing. :)

What do people recommend for an actual scope mount? Part of me wants to take advantage of the railed base by using a one-piece mount (like a Larue or Bobro). Would that end up making the scope too high?

I'm open to suggestions. My goal is eventually to shoot 1,000 yards with this rifle, so I am looking to wring the most out of it that I can.

Thanks!

#2 whistlepig

whistlepig

Sees Sights Lift

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 01:23 PM

Get some high quality rings, whatever height you need, check the alignment (even pricey ones aren't always right), lap as needed, mount with care and loc-tite then shoot it.

:cheers:

#3 427Cobra

427Cobra

Sees Target

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:10 PM

Medium high Badger Ordnance rings on the 20moa rail will be perfect, I suggest your NF have knobs that match the reticle, Mil\Mil(my choice) or MOA\MOA

#4 Wap wap

Wap wap

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 12:45 PM

Take a look at American Rifle Company rings before deciding.

#5 snowtop

snowtop

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 01:41 PM

Seekin rings are a good choice too.

#6 rrflyer

rrflyer

Sees Sights

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 10:33 PM

Seekins Lows shoud work and are nice!

#7 Biloxi23

Biloxi23

Calls Shots

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:59 PM

I have had good luck with Ken Farrell rings. They are drilled from bar stock, and come marked front and rear and are serial #'d to ensure they stay as a matched pair.

#8 Xfactor

Xfactor

Calls Shots

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:31 PM

Are Warne rings another solid choice?
- Aaron

Freedom Gunworks Shooting Team

< YouTube Videos >

#9 AFH

AFH

Sees Sights

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:34 PM

Warne scope rings are fantastic -- very solid. They have rings, bases, and R.A.M.P. mounts. See here: WARNE SCOPE MOUNTS

In addition, they are huge supporters of the 3-gun community.

Good luck with your decision!

Andy

Edited by AFH, 24 October 2011 - 03:34 PM.

#10 Jaxshooter

Jaxshooter

Back From the Dead

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:55 PM

Seekins or Nightforce
Rudy Project Shooting Squad
USPSA CRO w/3Gun Endorsement
ICORE RO
IDPA Safety Officer

#11 smokshwn

smokshwn

Medicina Bona Locis Malis

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:00 PM

I have a very big preference for Seekins Precision mounts and rings. Glen is also a huge supporter of the sport.
Team FIREBIRD

A friend of mine told me "Your work has really made you cynical" my reply was "Cynical.....I passed cynical five years ago....I now live in reality"

Considering the amount of fancy equipment now seen in competition, some readers have complained loudly that the 'average guy' does not have a chance. It might be pointed out that this average guy never has had a chance. Competition is held to determine what is best, not what is average. And if all the equipment were standardized, the man who won would still not be in any sense average.

The Mondays

#12 Charles Bond

Charles Bond

Burned Out

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:03 AM

Seekins are great so are Warne. These are not the only good ones but why buy another brand when you can get just as good or better from those who support our sport?

#13 CJW

CJW

Calls Shots

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:23 AM

Thanks for all the feedback, folks. I think I will be looking closely at Warne and Seekins. Got a few more weeks to pay off the scope, so I won't decide just yet, but when I drop off my next payment I'll ask my pusher gun-shop guy to help me measure up the correct scope height so I can get the order right.

#14 bgary

bgary

Burned Out

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:48 PM

I'm curious... all the responses said rings instead of mount.

Is there a "downside" to, for example, running an EGW rail on the receiver and putting a 1-piece mount (Warne, larue, JP) on the rail? Assuming it didn't put the scope too high, I can't think of a disadvantage....?
Posted Image
March 2006

Bruce Gary
bruce.gary@verizon.net

"Many people are unaware that their actions and thoughts are being directed to suit the agendas of shadowy agencies.
The Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanie is the most effective, inexpensive and stylish way to combat psychotronic mind control."

#15 CJW

CJW

Calls Shots

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:42 AM

jakers, definitely something I was interested in with my OP. I certainly don't mind doing rings, but since I put an EGW rail on in the first place I was wondering if there would be any mount recommendations.

#16 AFH

AFH

Sees Sights

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:57 PM

I have shot both rings and 1 piece mounts, both work well if properly installed. There is no disadvantage to either. However, I don't change scopes from rifle to rifle very often. Supposedly, some of the bases will return to zero when removed and replaced on the same rifle. I always check the zero and adjust the scope as needed when replacing. Regardless of mfg statements, I don't trust it any other way.

I think your choice comes down to a matter of preference. Put on good quality mounts or rings, level the scope, torque screws properly, and above all, know your ballistics.

Andy

#17 whistlepig

whistlepig

Sees Sights Lift

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:07 AM

I have both systems, but in the setup you describe, I would run good rings, lapped and mounted with care. One man's opinion.

#18 Big Stick

Big Stick

Looks for Match

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:09 PM

Glen makes very good stuff.

#19 JKSNIPER

JKSNIPER

Beyond it All

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:51 AM

Badger rings.

Gunsmith friends Al Warner and Charlie Milazzo said once that they were the only rings that came true and didn't have to be lapped.

JK
"Golf ?"
"Piss on Golf!"
"A golf course is a waste of a good rifle range."
"Put away those clubs....real men go to the range!"
Lt Col David Grossman US Army Retired.
USPSA Life Member L-3335

#20 whistlepig

whistlepig

Sees Sights Lift

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:33 AM

Badger rings are very well made and I have several Badger products, but I submit that any set of rings will benefit from proper installation.

Any part of a scope mounting setup can be off by a small amount when manufactured. Too small to be seen by eye. The highest quality base, rings and scope will be a frustration if the parts as a whole aren't working together. Taking the install in order and checking as you go will payoff in a great mount and good performance. IMHO, lapping rings with the proper tool, will soon confirm if the rings (and any other part of the setup) is true. If it is, great. If not, it can be fixed. Lapping in this instance is a diagnostic tool as well as a fitting tool.

#21 maddox

maddox

Looks for Target

• Classified
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:55 AM

I have badger rings and a NF base on my remington 700

#22 Stlhead

Stlhead

Calls Shots

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:38 AM

I like simple, strong mounts. My preference is for Seekins rings. They are light, brutal strong, and precise. An elegantly simple solution that works, plus Glen is a nice guy that I enjoy supporting. I also think they are one of the more cost effective solutions that have been discussed.

Cheers :cheers:

#23 338 Lapua Shooter

338 Lapua Shooter

Looks for Range

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:15 PM

I like the badger's, and the Mark 4's. You can't go wrong with either.

#24 Doug H.

Doug H.

Calls Shots

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:24 PM

If you want a one piece get the Nightforce Direct Mount base and rings for the 700. I have it on mine and it is strong, less parts to come loose and it looks good. Available in different heights and long or short action. Your new Nightforce scope will feel right at home. Also, in many cases now when you buy a new Nightforce scope it comes with the ultralight rings. I just sold mine because I was using the one piece base.

Doug

http://www.eurooptic...ort-action.aspx

Edited by Doug H., 07 December 2011 - 06:25 PM.

"It doen't have to be right, it just has to look right!" - Aviatun, Punto Fijo, Venezuela 1986-1989

Match Director of the Northwest Multigun Challenge. Match website: http://nwmultigun.com

http://www.powerfactorshow.com/

#25 smokshwn

smokshwn

Medicina Bona Locis Malis

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:19 AM

Badger rings.

Gunsmith friends Al Warner and Charlie Milazzo said once that they were the only rings that came true and didn't have to be lapped.

JK

Lapping rings really has very little to do with how true the rings are.

If the mount holes in the receiver are untrue the mount will then be torqued thus inducing some misaignment in the rings, lapping cures this even though the scope, rings, and mount were of the highest build tolerance.
Team FIREBIRD

A friend of mine told me "Your work has really made you cynical" my reply was "Cynical.....I passed cynical five years ago....I now live in reality"

Considering the amount of fancy equipment now seen in competition, some readers have complained loudly that the 'average guy' does not have a chance. It might be pointed out that this average guy never has had a chance. Competition is held to determine what is best, not what is average. And if all the equipment were standardized, the man who won would still not be in any sense average.

The Mondays

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users