10 replies to this topic

#1 Pro-Pain

Pro-Pain

Sees Sights Lift

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:48 PM

Sigmund Freud:"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." General Introduction to Psychoanalysis. (1920)

#2 AlamoShooter

AlamoShooter

I gotta a Fever for more Vortex !

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,577 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:15 PM

Veryyy...Interesting
Vortex Optics - JP Rifles - 3 Gun Team
TY18956 Multi Gun Cert RO

#3 GentlemanJim

GentlemanJim

Praeparatio ad Victoriam Viam

• Forum Dealer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:16 PM

Turns out Freud was insane :roflol:
Jim
Just when I thought I was winning the rat race, along came faster rats!
No longer allowed to post on humor forum without adult supervision!!
Member 1911 elitest/snob club
Member #21 SOB club

Working on spelling

#4 a.roberts

a.roberts

Calls Shots

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:59 PM

"See you Monday. We'll be talking about Freud and why he did enough cocaine to kill a small horse."
Good Will Hunting

My opinion: Worth exactly what you paid for it.

A68297
B-Class: A Master of inconsistency.
NRA Life

"Just like the gypsy woman said."

#5 Duane Thomas

Duane Thomas

Story Teller

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,150 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:26 PM

From Wikiquote:

"A fear of... weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

This is not a statement that appears in any translation of any of Freud's works. It is a paraphrase of a statement from the essay "Guns, Murders, and the Constitution" (February 1990) by Don B. Kates, Jr. where Kates summarizes his views of passages in Dreams in Folklore (1958) by Freud and David E. Oppenheim, while disputing statements by Emmanuel Tanay in "Neurotic Attachment to Guns" in a 1976 edition of The Fifty Minute Hour: A Collection of True Psychoanalytic Tales (1955) by Robert Mitchell Lindner: Dr. Tanay is perhaps unaware of in any event, he does not cite other passages more relevant to his argument. In these other passages Freud associates retarded sexual and emotional development not with gun ownership, but with fear and loathing of weapons. The probative importance that ought to be attached to the views of Freud is, of course, a matter of opinion. The point here is only that those views provide no support for the penis theory of gun ownership.

Due to misreading of this essay and its citations, this paraphrase of an opinion about Freud's ideas has been wrongly attributed to Freud himself, and specifically to his 10th Lecture "Symbolism in Dreams" in General Introduction to Psychoanalysis on some internet forum pages: alt.quotations, uk.politics.guns, talk.politics.guns, can.talk.guns , etc.

Pride and fear are emotions, which hope for an outcome. Outcomes take your attention from the present, where the shooting happens, to the future. It is totally impossible to do anything in the future, because it hasn't happened yet. The key to shooting your best is to be present as the witness of the shooting. Do not judge, do not give yourself anything to live up to. We can only shoot as well as we have trained ourselves to shoot. To try to shoot only induces stress. Be content with your current ability. And accumulate practice to improve that ability. Consolidate, build strength where you feel weakness. We cannot raise our ability until we accept our current limitations. Practice dissolves limitations. Matches simply define where the current limits exist. The game of shooting is all about redefining our limits.
- Sam

Amateurs do it til they get it right. Professionals do it til they can't get it wrong.

"It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters."
- Paul "Bear" Bryant

"The only reason why Everest is the highest mountain ever climbed is because it's the highest. If there was one higher, I bet there'd be people trying to climb it."
- Jack Barnes

#6 joebob

joebob

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:46 PM

Agreed.

#7 Sudden Death

Sudden Death

Calls Shots

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:20 PM

Sigmund Freud:"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." General Introduction to Psychoanalysis. (1920)

I have found one of Sigmund's quotes to be very true, Man who goes to bed with a itchy butt, wakes up with smelly finger... :roflol: :roflol:
" If you practice 9 hours a day for 10 years you will be a good shooter "
Travis Tomasie
" You don't have to be the best on every stage, just NEVER the worst"
Mike Moore

#8 Pro-Pain

Pro-Pain

Sees Sights Lift

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:49 AM

Wasn't that Confucius?

#9 Sudden Death

Sudden Death

Calls Shots

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:07 PM

Yea, I think your right, but it's funny anyway :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:
" If you practice 9 hours a day for 10 years you will be a good shooter "
Travis Tomasie
" You don't have to be the best on every stage, just NEVER the worst"
Mike Moore

#10 birdzman

birdzman

Sees Target

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:24 PM

I remember a Confucius saying my Gramps always used. "Man who fight with wife all day get no piece at night"

#11 Pro-Pain

Pro-Pain

Sees Sights Lift

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:25 AM

My personal favorite Confucius' are "Man who stand on toilet, high on pot" or "Man who run in front of car get tired/man who run behind car get exhausted"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users