15 replies to this topic

#1 Nemesis Lead

Nemesis Lead

Looks for Target

• Classified
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 02:44 PM

Has anyone run the SWSA Glock dry fire kit?

My link

Does it replicate the Glock trigger or is it junk?

Also, are there other reset kits and are they any good?

L3373.

A Class in Production.

B Class in Limited and Limited 10.

#2 Jman

Jman

Balance

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,894 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:55 PM

Can't say if it's junk.

I personally have no use for any "dry fire kit".

Seriously, a little piece of paper shoved between the barrel hood and the frame works just fine for dry fire practice.

Jim

DRINK WATER ALL DAY...

...add Scotch at night.

#3 kevin c

kevin c

Kachik-kerplunk...kachik-kerplunk

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,489 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 04:36 PM

Can't say if it's junk.

Seriously, a little piece of paper shoved between the barrel hood and the frame works just fine for dry fire practice.

Jim

I do this as well, though there isn't a "break" in the trigger with the paper "out of battery" method.

Now, if this new kit actually can closely approximate the normal break in the trigger, I might consider it, but, if not, well, my piece of paper costs me nothing to use.

MASTER class, one of these days...

"Remember that thing in the middle of the target? It's called the A zone. Try to hit it, more than just occasionally..."  Saul Kirsch

Being unconquerable lies within yourself - Sun-Tzu

#4 Nemesis Lead

Nemesis Lead

Looks for Target

• Classified
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:25 PM

Wow--either this kit is really new or it is junk. I figure if this thing were good people would be all over it.

Really? No one has used this?

L3373.

A Class in Production.

B Class in Limited and Limited 10.

#5 JohnGaultsGun

JohnGaultsGun

Sees Target

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:24 PM

I use it and like it. It doesn't have the striker-break feeling to it but the pull weight is heavy enough for me to see if I'm pulling a shoot on something during dry fire. I have a dedicated frame I use for dry-fire with this kit installed. For me, it's close enough.
Garret Chan
Rudy Project USA Competition Squad
USPSA: TY52406

---------------------------------------------
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

#6 Flashooter

Flashooter

Looks for Match

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:53 AM

Can't say if it's junk.

Jim

Jman & Kevin C,

I can't figure out how to position the paper. Do I place the paper between the hood and SLIDE or the hood and FRAME? Do I shove the paper with the gun assembled or do I remove the slide and barrel? I assume I cut the paper to the width of the hood, but how thick is the paper? I feel like an idiot but I can't figure it out.

Thanx in advance!

#7 RangeHooligan

RangeHooligan

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 05:22 PM

Flashooter, the piece of folded paper/card stock will be slipped in where the breechface and the rear of the barrel hood contact each other. This keeps the action slightly out of battery so the striker spring is compressed when the trigger is pulled but the striker will not be released. I've found that using a thin piece of plastic, like the material the clasp for a loaf of bread is made of, works well. Just size one so it fits into the breechface and you're in business.

RH

#8 Flashooter

Flashooter

Looks for Match

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:10 PM

Flashooter, the piece of folded paper/card stock will be slipped in where the breechface and the rear of the barrel hood contact each other. This keeps the action slightly out of battery so the striker spring is compressed when the trigger is pulled but the striker will not be released. I've found that using a thin piece of plastic, like the material the clasp for a loaf of bread is made of, works well. Just size one so it fits into the breechface and you're in business.

RH

RangeHooligan, thanx for your detailed description, explanation and tip about the bread clasp! Even a caveman like me can understand it. I will definitely give this a try.

Thanx for your help!! :cheers:

#9 SeaTact

SeaTact

Looks for Target

• Classified
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 06:41 PM

I use it and like it. It doesn't have the striker-break feeling to it but the pull weight is heavy enough for me to see if I'm pulling a shoot on something during dry fire. I have a dedicated frame I use for dry-fire with this kit installed. For me, it's close enough.

JGG-- is the kit any better than using the cardboard trick? I thought there was going to be something close to a striker-break.

#10 Flatland Shooter

Flatland Shooter

Back From the Dead

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 07:02 PM

I found that my wife's VISA card was just the right thickness. Trim to fit and I not only get my dry fire practice in but save a few bucks to boot.

Bill

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people.     I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

#11 Duane Thomas

Duane Thomas

Story Teller

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,151 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 07:52 PM

You can also save a few bucks (in more ways than one) by cutting up your Visa card. :lol:
Pride and fear are emotions, which hope for an outcome. Outcomes take your attention from the present, where the shooting happens, to the future. It is totally impossible to do anything in the future, because it hasn't happened yet. The key to shooting your best is to be present as the witness of the shooting. Do not judge, do not give yourself anything to live up to. We can only shoot as well as we have trained ourselves to shoot. To try to shoot only induces stress. Be content with your current ability. And accumulate practice to improve that ability. Consolidate, build strength where you feel weakness. We cannot raise our ability until we accept our current limitations. Practice dissolves limitations. Matches simply define where the current limits exist. The game of shooting is all about redefining our limits.
- Sam

Amateurs do it til they get it right. Professionals do it til they can't get it wrong.

"It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters."
- Paul "Bear" Bryant

"The only reason why Everest is the highest mountain ever climbed is because it's the highest. If there was one higher, I bet there'd be people trying to climb it."
- Jack Barnes

#12 Rodan

Rodan

Looks for Match

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 03:41 AM

That would be a great use for a VISA card lol

#13 SeaTact

SeaTact

Looks for Target

• Classified
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 02:16 AM

I just figured another alternative to the cardboard / credit card / breadloaf tag tip -- drop a snap cap directly through the chamber into the barrel, then slowly ride the slide closed. The extractor's claw will come to rest on the cap and the slide will remain out of battery.

#14 JohnGaultsGun

JohnGaultsGun

Sees Target

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:59 PM

JGG-- is the kit any better than using the cardboard trick? I thought there was going to be something close to a striker-break.

I've never used the cardboard trick so I can't give you a comparison. There is something that is out but it costs hundreds of $$$. It's one of the glock laser training pistols with the resetting trigger. Very much like the glock trigger. But they are not cheap. I forgot what they are called. Someone had it at the range and I tried it out. This model came with 2 lasers ... one green and one red. The red laser shows where your gun is aiming. When you squeeze the trigger, the green one snaps on and shows you where the shot broke. Seemed very nice if you can afford it.
Garret Chan
Rudy Project USA Competition Squad
USPSA: TY52406

---------------------------------------------
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

#15 1760yds

1760yds

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:30 PM

Has anyone run the SWSA Glock dry fire kit?

Does it replicate the Glock trigger or is it junk?

Also, are there other reset kits and are they any good?

I know this post is old but somebody has to have tried this by now. Anybody else have anything to say about these kits? Dillon Precision is selling them now. Do they feel like a real Glock trigger?

#16 Delta Mike

Delta Mike

Looks for Target

• Classified
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 11:21 PM

I have one and I like it. It replicates a stock Glock trigger pull with a more realistic feel than the cardboard trick, including the trigger reset.
Revolver Men: We reload more before 8:00 am than most people reload all day.

Pissing off the World...Six shots at a time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users