10 replies to this topic

#1 JoeInKS

JoeInKS

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 01:52 PM

Well I modified my Glock 35 with the Vanek Competition Kit and there is a very, very nice difference now. I did purchase the 3.5 connector also from Vanek for my Glock 19. Now after about 500 rounds with the 35, I'm spoiled somewhat by the way it performs. Problem though is that I am finally out of funds for the year to dedicate to my hobbies for the most part.

Is there a cheap modification that I can make to my Glock 19 (4th Gen) that'll help it get at least a little closer to the much better feel on my 35? I was thinking of spending the $9 for Wolf competition spring kit and just polishing things myself. Any other ideas, thoughts, etc.?

Thanks!!

By the way, the little Glock 19 with the large palm swell is one very nice pistol. Glock has seemingly gotten this upgrade done well. It's been a real pleasure thus far without any hiccup. My control is better than with its older 2000 vintage Glock 19 (I have very large palms).

Edited by JoeInKS, 25 September 2010 - 01:54 PM.

#2 SPDGG

SPDGG

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 03:18 PM

IMHO: For a Carry/Defense Application

- .025/Polish
- Glock 3.5 Connector
- Overtravel Housing

Personal Preference, but I like the smooth face trigger from the G34/G35 over the serrated.

Edited by SPDGG, 25 September 2010 - 06:41 PM.

#3 JBP55

JBP55

Calls Shots

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 03:21 PM

The G4 G19 has a heavier recoil spring. If you install a 6# trigger spring and a 4# firing pin spring you MAY have light strikes and will have a weaker trigger reset.

#4 JoeInKS

JoeInKS

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 04:38 PM

The G4 G19 has a heavier recoil spring. If you install a 6# trigger spring and a 4# firing pin spring you MAY have light strikes and will have a weaker trigger reset.

Darn it, I knew that it was too easy of an upgrade path. Thanks for the information. I may just have to wait until next year's budget to come into play.

Thanks for the info.

#5 JBP55

JBP55

Calls Shots

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 05:17 PM

You could install your Vanek connector on a polished G3 trigger bar with a 6# trigger spring and polish the safety plunger and firing pin. This will possibly reduce your trigger pull by 8-10 Oz. If you do not like the trigger reset remove the 6# trigger spring.

#6 BayouSlide

BayouSlide

Beyond it All

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 05:27 PM

Lone Wolf 3.5# connector is much crisper than the Glock OEM, based on experience in multiple Glocks.
:cheers:
Curtis
"Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held. Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin. Believe nothing just because someone else believes it. Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true." -- Buddha

#7 JBP55

JBP55

Calls Shots

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 06:29 PM

Lone Wolf 3.5# connector is much crisper than the Glock OEM, based on experience in multiple Glocks.
:cheers:
Curtis

I agree, he has already purchased a Vanek polished Glock connector.

#8 JoeInKS

JoeInKS

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 07:00 PM

You could install your Vanek connector on a polished G3 trigger bar with a 6# trigger spring and polish the safety plunger and firing pin. This will possibly reduce your trigger pull by 8-10 Oz. If you do not like the trigger reset remove the 6# trigger spring.

Well, I was going to polish things anyway so the thought of trying the 6# spring can't do anything but potentially help out. Thanks for the idea.

I really need to start paying more attention to what the standard spring weights are and the effects of changing their weights.

#9 Duane Thomas

Duane Thomas

Story Teller

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,151 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:58 PM

How do you figure a heavier recoil spring leads to light strikes? Or am i misinterpreting what you're saying, and the two sentences are meant to stand separately?
Pride and fear are emotions, which hope for an outcome. Outcomes take your attention from the present, where the shooting happens, to the future. It is totally impossible to do anything in the future, because it hasn't happened yet. The key to shooting your best is to be present as the witness of the shooting. Do not judge, do not give yourself anything to live up to. We can only shoot as well as we have trained ourselves to shoot. To try to shoot only induces stress. Be content with your current ability. And accumulate practice to improve that ability. Consolidate, build strength where you feel weakness. We cannot raise our ability until we accept our current limitations. Practice dissolves limitations. Matches simply define where the current limits exist. The game of shooting is all about redefining our limits.
- Sam

Amateurs do it til they get it right. Professionals do it til they can't get it wrong.

"It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters."
- Paul "Bear" Bryant

"The only reason why Everest is the highest mountain ever climbed is because it's the highest. If there was one higher, I bet there'd be people trying to climb it."
- Jack Barnes

#10 Duane Thomas

Duane Thomas

Story Teller

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,151 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 09:01 PM

Simply going to a Wolff "4 pound" firing pin spring and Glock OEM .4.5 pound (current factory terminology, formerly called a 3.5 pound) connector, and polishing up what's there gives me 3.25 pound trigger pulls in my Glock 19. The polishing, in my experience, really has no to very little effect on the actual pull weight, we do it to get rid of grittiness, not to lighten the trigger.

Like the previous respondent I prefer the non-serrated trigger out of the 17/34 to the serrated jobbie in the 19, and replace it as a matter of course.

Yes, going for the lighter firing pin spring CAN cause light strikes - but won't if you control the ammo, and the primers, you introduce into the gun.
Pride and fear are emotions, which hope for an outcome. Outcomes take your attention from the present, where the shooting happens, to the future. It is totally impossible to do anything in the future, because it hasn't happened yet. The key to shooting your best is to be present as the witness of the shooting. Do not judge, do not give yourself anything to live up to. We can only shoot as well as we have trained ourselves to shoot. To try to shoot only induces stress. Be content with your current ability. And accumulate practice to improve that ability. Consolidate, build strength where you feel weakness. We cannot raise our ability until we accept our current limitations. Practice dissolves limitations. Matches simply define where the current limits exist. The game of shooting is all about redefining our limits.
- Sam

Amateurs do it til they get it right. Professionals do it til they can't get it wrong.

"It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters."
- Paul "Bear" Bryant

"The only reason why Everest is the highest mountain ever climbed is because it's the highest. If there was one higher, I bet there'd be people trying to climb it."
- Jack Barnes

#11 the duck of death

the duck of death

Calls Shots

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:00 PM

*QUOTE*
Is there a cheap modification that I can make to my Glock 19

Sure, Get a Scherer 3.5 & polish it, lighten the OEM firing pin and cut some coils off the OEM firing pin spring. Then get a heavier trigger spring.

ENJOY.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users