18 replies to this topic

#1 unionman

unionman

Looks for Range

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 02:35 PM

I have been using VV n 340 for about 1000 rounds.
MG 124 JHP. 4.8 gr and 1.14 OAL
Good results. But have been seeing a lot folks using 320 more. Or it seems. I would appreciate everyones thoughts. I was going to buy 4 pounds of 340. But have second thoughts and may try 320 ???
So advice please from those who know. Thanks

Edited by unionman, 19 September 2010 - 03:33 PM.

#2 twister

twister

Sees Sights Lift

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 07:52 PM

I shoot 4.1 of VV320 with a Zero 124gr.jhp in my CZ TS with good results. The load was given to me by Angus. Good luck, Dave

#3 G-ManBart

G-ManBart

Maku Bozo

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,089 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:17 PM

The N320 will be a bit softer than the N340. For what we do, I think N320 is about the best 9mm Minor powder going. I've loaded it with a bunch of different 147gr bullets, some 130gr bullets and 125gr bullets, and it's worked very nicely with all of them. R,
TY23298

Bartgolfs@yahoo.com if you want to reach me....I'm only here when absolutely necessary.

#4 Shadowrider

Shadowrider

Calls Shots

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:50 PM

The N320 will be a bit softer than the N340. For what we do, I think N320 is about the best 9mm Minor powder going. I've loaded it with a bunch of different 147gr bullets, some 130gr bullets and 125gr bullets, and it's worked very nicely with all of them. R,

Have you used WST? If so how does it compare? I bought a pound of N320 for .38 Special to try and I think it's the cleanest burning powder I've ever used. Doesn't seem to meter quite as good as WST but not bad by any means. Been thinking about giving it a go in 9mm w/147 cast bullets but I really, really like the WST's softness...

Edited by Shadowrider, 19 September 2010 - 08:51 PM.

#5 warpspeed

warpspeed

Too soon ?

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,408 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:16 PM

I think you see most people using N320 because they have it for 40 S&W and just want to keep thing simple.

IIRC, N330 was developed specifically for 9x19. I have had pretty good results with it for low pf stuff ; accurate & clean.

I don't suffer fools gladly.

"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark." - Michelangelo

Either you run the day or the day runs you.

-- Jim Rohn

Measure with a micrometer, mark with a crayon, cut with a chainsaw

#6 Darrell

Darrell

Sees Sights

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 05:59 AM

For shooting production with 9mm, N320 is fine, soft and accurate, if you want the most accuracy out of a 9mm then N340 is the powder of choice for many bullseye shooters. with a 124 gr JHP 4.0-4.1 of N320, for 124 JHP and N340, 4.8-5.0 will be right. OAL will depend on the gun and the bullet profile. Bullseye shooters are using 1.080 with XTP's, and 1.120 for Production with JHP's and Flat Points.1.140 for FMJ's.
HK P30 9mm, HK45, STI Trojan CRP .45, EAA Limited 9, DW PM-9. S&W M&P9C, PC 1911 .45, Colt Gold Cup .22, S&W .380 Bodyguard
CZ Shadow, Walther PPQ 9mm, 3" 686+, 686 SSR, 2" 442-2, 5" 625-6, Taurus 85 2",2 Ruger 22/45's, Anschutz 64SBR, RR Elite AR, Smith AR15-22, Ruger 10/22, Savage .22, Marlin 2000, Rem 700 SPS AAC SD .308

#7 pjb45

pjb45

Burned Out

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 08:31 AM

Well, I am one of those who use VV 320 for my 40 and 9mm. It is an accurate clean powder which is more important to me than being the cheapest powder. I also have used it in my 45 ACP. Works great.

I like to keep things simple. Less chance of me screwing up.

#8 gng4life

gng4life

Burned Out

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 01:40 PM

PJB, is your 9mm load with N320 a minor load? If so, would you share the recipe? Thanks

#9 warpspeed

warpspeed

Too soon ?

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,408 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 04:51 PM

Well, I am one of those who use VV 320 for my 40 and 9mm. It is an accurate clean powder which is more important to me than being the cheapest powder. I also have used it in my 45 ACP. Works great.

I like to keep things simple. Less chance of me screwing up.

Very true pjb45. If it works - don't fix it.

I don't suffer fools gladly.

"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark." - Michelangelo

Either you run the day or the day runs you.

-- Jim Rohn

Measure with a micrometer, mark with a crayon, cut with a chainsaw

#10 19852

Sees Sights Lift

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:33 AM

I've used both for 9mm minor. Both are good, N320 is better. I like 4.2gr N320 with a 124/125 bullet. Very clean.

#11 lll Otto lll

lll Otto lll

Looks for Match

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:20 PM

I shoot 4.1 of VV320 with a Zero 124gr.jhp in my CZ TS with good results. The load was given to me by Angus. Good luck, Dave

I recall in one of Angus's posts saying that the best accuracy he's obtained was from N350 however he had no plans in switching from N320.

#12 19852

Sees Sights Lift

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:47 AM

I recall in one of Angus's posts saying that the best accuracy he's obtained was from N350 however he had no plans in switching from N320.

I remember that too. To much recoil for him to switch.

#13 G-ManBart

G-ManBart

Maku Bozo

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,089 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:31 AM

PJB, is your 9mm load with N320 a minor load? If so, would you share the recipe? Thanks

I don't know about Paul's load (man, I never even saw him shoot Production!), but I use 3.7gr or N320 with a Montana Gold 147gr CMJ at 1.125" and Win SP primers in Starline cases. I've got some Zero 147gr JHPs in and I'll have to work up a load again, but it loved Zero 147gr JHPs in AA&A's ammo. R,
TY23298

Bartgolfs@yahoo.com if you want to reach me....I'm only here when absolutely necessary.

#14 CocoBolo

CocoBolo

Just having fun.

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:53 AM

I'm running N320 (3.9 gr) with 125gr BayouBullet set at 1.165 in my CZ Shadow. Shoots like an AirSoft. (exagerated expression). I've also shot 4.3gr of TiteGroup and 4.7gr of WST with 124gr jacketed and there isn't much difference in the feel still very comfortable. One of my daughters shot the gun at a match in Missouri and the loads were mixed up and she couldn't tell the difference in them.

Note that the BayouBullet's profile allows for longer loading than Jacketed RN, which would be at 1.140-1.145.

Edited by CocoBolo, 23 September 2010 - 12:18 PM.

Ron

B Open, B Limited 10, C Class Limited/Prod/SS + RO  A62392

I started with nothing, I still have most of it.

#15 Duane Thomas

Duane Thomas

Story Teller

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,158 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 05:30 AM

For what we do, I think N320 is about the best 9mm Minor powder going.

Indeed. :)
Pride and fear are emotions, which hope for an outcome. Outcomes take your attention from the present, where the shooting happens, to the future. It is totally impossible to do anything in the future, because it hasn't happened yet. The key to shooting your best is to be present as the witness of the shooting. Do not judge, do not give yourself anything to live up to. We can only shoot as well as we have trained ourselves to shoot. To try to shoot only induces stress. Be content with your current ability. And accumulate practice to improve that ability. Consolidate, build strength where you feel weakness. We cannot raise our ability until we accept our current limitations. Practice dissolves limitations. Matches simply define where the current limits exist. The game of shooting is all about redefining our limits.
- Sam

Amateurs do it til they get it right. Professionals do it til they can't get it wrong.

"It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters."
- Paul "Bear" Bryant

"The only reason why Everest is the highest mountain ever climbed is because it's the highest. If there was one higher, I bet there'd be people trying to climb it."
- Jack Barnes

#16 Duane Thomas

Duane Thomas

Story Teller

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,158 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 05:30 AM

Rainier 147-gr. TRN, 3.5-gr. N320, OAL 1.140", Federal 200 Small Magnum Pistol primers.
Pride and fear are emotions, which hope for an outcome. Outcomes take your attention from the present, where the shooting happens, to the future. It is totally impossible to do anything in the future, because it hasn't happened yet. The key to shooting your best is to be present as the witness of the shooting. Do not judge, do not give yourself anything to live up to. We can only shoot as well as we have trained ourselves to shoot. To try to shoot only induces stress. Be content with your current ability. And accumulate practice to improve that ability. Consolidate, build strength where you feel weakness. We cannot raise our ability until we accept our current limitations. Practice dissolves limitations. Matches simply define where the current limits exist. The game of shooting is all about redefining our limits.
- Sam

Amateurs do it til they get it right. Professionals do it til they can't get it wrong.

"It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters."
- Paul "Bear" Bryant

"The only reason why Everest is the highest mountain ever climbed is because it's the highest. If there was one higher, I bet there'd be people trying to climb it."
- Jack Barnes

#17 19852

Sees Sights Lift

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:43 AM

I love VV N320 too. But it just isn't commonly available here. I like Ramshot competition also, can't find it. I need a acceptable substitute. Nothing will be like N320 but what gets closest? What about WSF or WST? I've used titegroup, not wild about it.
Thanks

#18 unionman

unionman

Looks for Range

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:07 PM

Thanks everyone.

#19 freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm

Sees Sights Lift

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:41 PM

I love VV N320 too. But it just isn't commonly available here. I like Ramshot competition also, can't find it. I need a acceptable substitute. Nothing will be like N320 but what gets closest? What about WSF or WST? I've used titegroup, not wild about it.
Thanks

Burn rate-wise, AA #2 and WST are right next to N320.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users