92 replies to this topic

#76 mgardner

mgardner

Sees Sights

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:22 AM

It's always good to watch and shoot with better shooters. Problem is that you won't be able to emulate their behavior until your basic skills level comes up to theirs. I spent years shooting long range silhouettes so when I plan a stage I will shoot any and all targets I can at longer ranges than normal so I don't waste 5 seconds running up to the fault line to do it because I'm not young and fast like I was. If you can get someone who is a great shooter to watch and assess you it can be priceless. Use your strengths and practice to overcome your weaknesses.

#77 duketdub

duketdub

Looks for Range

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:36 AM

I think of it the same way as learning a language. When we are young we learn to speak by talking with older more experienced people. Mistakes are infact encouraged, and corrected as we go. If we shoot or speak or learn anything new with people on our own level the time it takes to acheive mastery is greatly increased. I love the shooting sports for exactly that reason. Everyone is friendly and willing to help us through our journey. Watching videos is a great way to learn but one on one attention is irreplaceable.

Edited by duketdub, 28 February 2014 - 09:39 AM.

#78 Cundiff5535

Cundiff5535

Sees Target

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:16 AM

Its like any sport... you only get better with practice and working with better competition....

Bobby Cundiff

#79 zhuk

zhuk

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:14 PM

I heard it yrs ago that if you hang with a certain skill level crowd you will rise no higher than the crowd, which is fine ifthat is your thing, butf orthose who want to excell to the maximum oftheir abilities??? need to look beyond the comfort zone/squad

^This.

I was pretty much the worst shooter for a long, long time...when the results got pinned up, start at the bottom ("hey, I came second last!" lol)

Then I changed clubs, got some proper instruction from much better shooters than me and have improved considerably in the last couple of years. You not only see what is possible but get pushed, as you say calishootr past your comfort level. You can surprise yourself with how well you do out of that zone.

#80 sarge450

sarge450

Looks for Match

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:40 PM

It has already been said, but I was grouped with the better shooters a few times in the past. While I learned from watching I fell into a trap the first time of thinking I had the ability to keep up with they're pace. I did not and my scores suffered. I was just focusing on the being fast, rather than smooth.

I didn't even realize I was doing it at the time. So like has already been said you can learn from the better shooters as far as tips and techniques, but you don't want to try and shoot there pace until you are ready.

#81 idHawk

idHawk

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:18 PM

I prefer to shoot with better shooters.   When I try to go as fast as them, I screw up.    However, I still shoot much better with them than I do when I end up on a squad of people with more limited skill sets.   Shooting with better shooters forces me out of my comfort zone.     

#82 stephen1776

stephen1776

Looks for Match

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:33 AM

When you stop learning from the group you shoot with is it time to change up the group? I am far from this point. Just wondering. I do like the comment, "shoot slow, do everything else fast"...

#83 fishhunter3

fishhunter3

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:58 PM

i shoot with another revo shooter we are about equal, he is  a better shot and i know  how to play this game( been shooting for a lot of years) and we push each other, we both just shot our first GM score on a classifier at the same match, I was not getting any better till he started shooting at our club , some times it just nice to have some one to shoot against. 

Larry Manning
Fishunter3
USPSA A5341 NPAA 371

#84 kooyahdesigns

kooyahdesigns

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:24 AM

I like to "chase" someone especially if we are in the same group of friends. It just helps push my limits to get better instead of just staying in "cruise control"

#85 Ethanolguy

Ethanolguy

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:07 PM

I like having better shooters at matches, gives me drive for improvement.  Also makes it more fun when I beat one of them.  

#86 Mthomas0001

Mthomas0001

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:32 AM

Better shooters make us better shooters, it is a bit humbling at first, but then yiou rise to the level of those that you are shooting with if you are training.  Then it gets fun....

#87 glockified

glockified

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:13 PM

I always try to get on a squad with shooters better than me. You definitely shoot better when you are with better shooters. Some of their plans and techniques are bound to "rub off on you." The opposite is also true.

#88 Quackhead

Quackhead

Looks for Range

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:54 AM

I may just be blessed to live by cool people but it seems like the better the shooter the nicer the shooter. The higher end shooters are usually very helpful and I always try to squad with them. To be honest though, I've often wondered if they were just tired of having to wait for slower shooters.

That being said, I was squaded with significantly better open and limited shooters at a major match last year and I ended up tring to shoot the match at their pace. Of course I shot too fast for my ability and ended the match with 6 misses. If I would have spent a whole additional second per miss I would have been more competitive in my class and division (L10).

I think the best advice to give anyone is shoot slow , do everything else fast and listen to others. It's very annoying to try and help someone out only to get excuses as to why they can't follow the suggestion.

I shot my first firearm match ever 3 wks ago...went with a friend to a USPSA match. Our squad R.O. was a GM. I did not even know what the acronym USPSA stood for until I googled it after the match.18 misses on that one. 51/52 overall. I have no where to go but up from here. I just shot my 3rd steel shoot in 2 wks this past Sunday, a Steel Challenge with the same group as that first USPSA match. I finished 30/42 overall...I constantly tell myself "Make the hits"...the speed will develop on it's own. Lots of helpful info in this thread.

ps. I watched an Akai Custom Guns team member blaze away and hit too many stop plates prematurely...He opted for a DNF...some of this advice crosses all classes.

Edited by Quackhead, 12 August 2014 - 09:01 AM.

#89 shooterrdy

shooterrdy

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:19 AM

Shooting with shooters better than yourself is Paramount to get better. My take is its no different than golf if you play with better players your play up if you play with equal or lesser players you will play Down. 

#90 Nimitz

Nimitz

Burned Out

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,428 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:38 AM

I may just be blessed to live by cool people but it seems like the better the shooter the nicer the shooter. The higher end shooters are usually very helpful and I always try to squad with them. To be honest though, I've often wondered if they were just tired of having to wait for slower shooters.
That being said, I was squaded with significantly better open and limited shooters at a major match last year and I ended up tring to shoot the match at their pace. Of course I shot too fast for my ability and ended the match with 6 misses. If I would have spent a whole additional second per miss I would have been more competitive in my class and division (L10).
I think the best advice to give anyone is shoot slow , do everything else fast and listen to others. It's very annoying to try and help someone out only to get excuses as to why they can't follow the suggestion.

I shot my first firearm match ever 3 wks ago...went with a friend to a USPSA match. Our squad R.O. was a GM. I did not even know what the acronym USPSA stood for until I googled it after the match.18 misses on that one. 51/52 overall. I have no where to go but up from here. I just shot my 3rd steel shoot in 2 wks this past Sunday, a Steel Challenge with the same group as that first USPSA match. I finished 30/42 overall...I constantly tell myself "Make the hits"...the speed will develop on it's own. Lots of helpful info in this thread.

ps. I watched an Akai Custom Guns team member blaze away and hit too many stop plates prematurely...He opted for a DNF...some of this advice crosses all classes.
You are partially correct in that you need to make your hits but it's 'how' you go about that which makes all the difference in the world. You should only be pulling the trigger as fast as you can see your sights. In addition, the notion that 'the speed will develop on its own" is not correct. You must force the speed to develop by focusing on speed and accuracy at the same time. If you focus just on accuracy you will develop into a slow, accurate shooter ... One of the greatest shooters of all time in this sport has said .... Shooting alphas is irrevelant if you can't do it fast ...

It is ok to focus on accuracy at first, particularily if you don't have a background shooting a pistol. However, once you develop good fundamentals your training needs to focus on shooting fast, accurate shots all the time ... Our sport is only about one thing: shooting alphas as fast as you can.

Edited by Nimitz, 23 September 2014 - 08:40 AM.

I get a little better every day ...

USPSA:  A75116

My Videos

My Range Diary

Slowing down is never the right answer - NEVER

#91 awfaxis

awfaxis

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:17 PM

I shot the Indiana Championship (Spaceballs) match this month.   I put myself on the same squad as Bob Vogel, thinking I'd be motivated, inspired and at my best.   Boy did I suck!   

Everyone on my squad had names you see at the top consistently around the country.  

Boy did I suck!

Dave

USPSA: A81703    (RO)

IDPA:     A378646  (SO)

#92 Neomet

Neomet

Burned Out

• Forum Dealer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 09:03 PM

Shooting with better shooters?? Move here.  It is all you will ever do.  

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”

Mae West

#93 UCOShooter

UCOShooter

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:09 AM

I totally agree it will improve you as a shooter.  You just have to set your pride a side a little bit and be able to learn, and not trying to impress a big name.  Because they are more than likely not going to be impressed.  Just go out and shoot, have fun, and learn.

SSP & ESP- Expert

Production- B Class

Limited- C Class

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users