92 replies to this topic

#1 astephenson

astephenson

aka: WellArmedSheep

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:28 PM

The skill level of shooters in my IDPA club (actually several clubs, but many of the same shooters) has been improving quite a bit lately. It seems like over half of the folks I shoot with have Expert or higher classifications in at least one division- many in multiple divisions. Those that aren't will probably be soon, whether by classifier or match bump.

To say the least it keeps me on my toes and motivates me to practice more...and everyone else is pretty motivated, too. It's alot of fun seeing everyone improve and trying to keep up with them to stay competitive.

The cool part- we're all great friends and everyone is extremely encouraging. I hope everyone is able to find a group to shoot with that's as great a bunch of folks as the ones I'm able to shoot with.
Alex Stephenson

Jack of all trades...master of none.

A26175/A61923

#2 Sarge

Sarge

Back From the Dead

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,032 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 04:26 PM

I agree 100%. Nobody likes to be the worst shooter of the bunch.

That's why I thank god for new shooters!:roflol:

Kevin Sanders
US Army 1SG (Retired)
NROI Chief Range Officer

USPSA Match Director- Miami Rifle and Pistol club Cincinnati, Ohio
"Support" class shooter and proud of it!

My youtube channel:    https://www.youtube.com/user/USPSA59

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, LEARN THE PROPER USE OF ADVISE AND ADVICE!!!!

#3 WildWest N AZ

WildWest N AZ

Sees Sights

• Classified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 04:28 PM

LoL..... I agree I love shooting with my GM open buds the advice they give is great and has helped me be a better shooter
"I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life Only to Arrive Safely at Death"

#4 GrumpyOne

GrumpyOne

Soha ne feledje, hogy szar, itt jön a Mongo!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,846 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 05:47 PM

Shooting with people better than you, raises the bar for you, makes you think "If they can do it, so can I". I used to play pool alot, but never got any better until I played someone better than me. I find that to be true of shooting as well.
June 2010 "Win a Book" winner

Every cloud has a silver lining, but hundreds of people are killed each year by lightening trying to find it.

Clever got me this far, then tricky got me in....

Single Stack Elitist Member #111

I shoot to support the support class shooters!

2" spud gun
Plasma rifle with 40 watt range
Illudium Q-36 explosive space modulator. 

For the love of God, learn the use of the words to, too, and two!

#5 DyNo!

DyNo!

Beyond it All

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 06:02 PM

And on the other side of that - if you're the best shooter in a bunch, it is challenging to set the bar without having someone else to be the guinea pig. :sight:

I also always try to shoot with people who shoot better than me.

Edited by DyNo!, 12 September 2010 - 06:03 PM.

My Youtube Page
TY48348

Wimpy guns make you weak. ManTFU. When the buzzer goes off, grip it and rip it. Shoot it like you stole it. -SteveJ

#6 GuyC

GuyC

Sees Sights

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 06:08 PM

I would love to practice with better shooters than me. I like to shoot with the open guys at a match, it pushes me shoot faster.
NRA Instructor

#7 calishootr

calishootr

Beyond it All

• Classified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:27 PM

at a sectional championship yrs ago, my shootin partner and I were 'tossed in' with a super squad full of GM's and M's, we were only B class shooters at the time, but looked at it this way, if we could hang with the big boys and run within a few seconds of their times and have decent hits...hey goodthings might happen??? as it turned out we were correct in our assumption, we both finished 1 an 2 in b class

I heard it yrs ago that if you hang with a certain skill level crowd you will rise no higher than the crowd, which is fine ifthat is your thing, butf orthose who want to excell to the maximum oftheir abilities??? need to look beyond the comfort zone/squad

#8 SiG Lady

SiG Lady

"I'll be in my bunk."

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,781 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:51 AM

During the time I did happen to engage in competition, the "better-than-me" shooters not only taught me indirectly through example, they were generous with their tips and chat about how they accomplished what they did on whichever target array--or about some technique they used. It was amazing the constant stream of coaching I received. Indeed, it gradually improved my shooting skills because I LISTENED to them.

#9 Hartmann

Hartmann

Looks for Range

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:03 PM

I heard it yrs ago that if you hang with a certain skill level crowd you will rise no higher than the crowd, which is fine ifthat is your thing, butf orthose who want to excell to the maximum oftheir abilities??? need to look beyond the comfort zone/squad

Recently I heard a similar concept explained as, "You are the average of the five people you hang around with most."

Interesting to ponder that, for both shooting and non-shooting aspects of life.
My President is Mike Voigt.

#10 Chris iliff

Chris iliff

aka: fourtrax

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:27 PM

I love to shoot with better shooters. I always learn something. Best squad to date put me with Flexmoney, Keen, Micah, Budewitz, and Metts at the Michigan Section. If I recall correctly, most won their division overall. I, on the other hand, just tried to keep up. Fun stuff and great learning. Mentally, it took me a couple stages to get over the wow factor. Wish that was my regular squad weekly!!!
"Don't be a brown banana". a Cocobolo comment.

lef-t, on 22 Dec 2013 - 11:53 AM, said:
I'm redirecting my focus onto "doing" something rather than "not doing" something.

#11 Coach

Coach

aka: RoyceLowellPatton. At this point we don't know.

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 02:21 AM

Recently I heard a similar concept explained as, "You are the average of the five people you hang around with most."

Interesting to ponder that, for both shooting and non-shooting aspects of life.

This is troubling :surprise:
A51967
Magnificent Bastard #2

#12 AlamoShooter

AlamoShooter

I gotta a Fever for more Vortex !

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,577 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 05:56 AM

B) shooting with better shooters is something that happens at every match I go to
Vortex Optics - JP Rifles - 3 Gun Team
TY18956 Multi Gun Cert RO

#13 Red Ryder

Red Ryder

aka: Rob A.

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:44 AM

Last place! I hate finishing in the middle of the pack or lower.

"Mushin No Shin"

"Talk low and slow and don't say too much!" 
"On rare occasions, violence may be the only answer."

World War II hero Jack Lucas became the youngest man in THIS CENTURY to receive the CONGRESSIONAL MEDAL OF HONOR award when he threw is body over TWO grenades at Iwo Jima just 5 days after his 17th birthday. (At the time of his heroism he had already been in the Marine Corps for THREE years.)

#14 Red Ryder

Red Ryder

aka: Rob A.

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:50 AM

It definitely helps me to shoot with a few Grand Masters. I try to observe and repeat!

"Mushin No Shin"

"Talk low and slow and don't say too much!" 
"On rare occasions, violence may be the only answer."

World War II hero Jack Lucas became the youngest man in THIS CENTURY to receive the CONGRESSIONAL MEDAL OF HONOR award when he threw is body over TWO grenades at Iwo Jima just 5 days after his 17th birthday. (At the time of his heroism he had already been in the Marine Corps for THREE years.)

#15 oak hill

oak hill

Sees Sights Lift

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:03 AM

I agree. It always helps to learn new things, especially from someone who can not only tell you what to do, but can actually do it.

#16 JayJayJay

JayJayJay

Looks for Target

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:07 PM

I hate comming in last !

#17 blaster113

blaster113

aka: SIG Shooter

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:10 AM

shooting with better shooters fires up the competitive instinct. plus you can gain insight on how they break down stages, reloads, etc

#18 Rick417

Rick417

Looks for Range

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 02:15 PM

B) shooting with better shooters is something that happens at every match I go to

HaHa. That is exactly what I was thinking.

#19 MMETALMANN

MMETALMANN

Looks for Range

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:29 PM

I agree. I shoot sporting clays with my uncle-in-law he has so much good advice my scores skyrocket! As I shoot without him I often start to slip. He's almost like a drug addiction, when I have a bad day, I'll call him to come shooting, and invariably his advice and perception of the field and my action, helps me get back in the game. I just wish I could shoot more, so his advice would stick. I seem to lose the advice with large stretches in time. Oh well, more excuse to hang with the family!
...a wounded man shall say to his assailant 'If I live, I will kill you. If I die you are forgiven. Such is the rule of honor...'

#20 Garrett

Garrett

Calls Shots

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 02:54 PM

Those who have bounced around a bit will notice that most clubs tend toward one or two divisions. Some places, the majority shoot Open. Other places Limited and Production seem to be the favorite. I recently moved to an area with one of these clubs. While I prefer to shoot Open, I'm half considering going back to Lim, just so I have a few better shooters to compete with.

#21 soundwave

soundwave

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:02 PM

Definitely believe shooting with great shooters will make you better. I also believe hanging out with ugly people makes me more handsome. :blush:
As the great warrior-poet Ice Cube once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."
A62090
Production - Glock 34
Limited/Limited 10 - Glock 35
Single Stack - Kimber Custom II
Open - Phased plasma rifle in the 40-watt range
http://www.youtube.c...er/soundwavectr

#22 shooter57

shooter57

Sees Target

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:27 AM

It's not only in shooting to play with better shooters but any sport playing with the best players will make you better in that sport. you may still suck but you will suck better.
If you served in any Military branch, Than You

#23 steel1212

steel1212

Shut up and SHOOT!!!

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,145 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:26 PM

That works both ways. When I started shooting I shot with a group of masters and went through the ranks to where I'm at now. Now when I go to matches I don't want to be beat by lower class shooters so it keeps me pushing.
Corey Estill
USPSA: A-57351
IDPA: A26629
My youtube videos

DVC is a three legged stool. Remove one leg and you're just left with a pile of sticks.

#24 Zerwas

Zerwas

something else?

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:44 AM

I would love to practice with better shooters than me. I like to shoot with the open guys at a match, it pushes me shoot faster.

The wanting to shoot faster part is the dangerous area you don't really want to visit. The better shooters can and sometimes (depending on who "they" are :unsure: ) will give the other shooters little tips during a given course of fire that could help them streamline their plan.

Shooting faster is not necessarily a good thing.

Being more efficient IS a good thing, and THAT is what a much better shooter can do for you.
Steven Z
Team Unholstered
Team Grundhauser Gunworks
L2504

Get to know HIM before HE pays you a visit......
Open: M, Limited: M, Single Stack:M
Production: A, Limited-10: A,

Valkyrie0307 USPSA Youtube videos

#25 Lee B

Lee B

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:08 AM

I hope everyone is able to find a group to shoot with that's as great a bunch of folks as the ones I'm able to shoot with.

Indeed. It's nice to have good folks to shoot with who encourage, instruct and push you to be better. That's what I like about the matches and clubs around the area.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users