17 replies to this topic

#1 z06pilot

z06pilot

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:50 AM

Its probably not a big difference either way, but what is the appropriate recoil spring weight for a G34 with 130PF ammo and a non captive tungsten guide rod? Also,I noticed ISMI only makes a 13LB and 15LB spring not a 14LB, any reason?

#2 Rolex

Rolex

Beyond it All

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:01 AM

I use the 13LB. in my 34- but I also have the Vanek drop in
trigger set up. It is on FL guide rod. I don't see why it
would not work. I have had no problems with WWB 115FMJ or my
reloads.
If you come to shoot, then you also come to work!
If you don't come to work, then don't come to shoot!

#3 Calmwater

Calmwater

Sees Sights Lift

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:10 AM

I have seen varying opinions, is there a definitive yes or no on if you have to run a lighter firing pin spring to run a 13 pound recoil spring? I have read that if you go much lighter it is a have to, but has anyone had problems with the slide coming open with a 13 pound recoil and a factory firing pin spring?
a61461 So you all can see I don't know what I'm talking about........

#4 Sean Gaines

Sean Gaines

Burned Out

• Forum Dealer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:27 AM

When I was shooting glock, the 13lb was used for my 34, and the 15lb was used for the g35, didn't need a 14 at all.

http://www.powerfactorshooting.com/

Pistol Accessories
3gun Accessories
Rimfire Accessories
Reloading Accessories

10% off of Briley Mfg Merchandise for Brian Enos members use the coupon code "shotgun" at checkout
Click above......

Be Freinds with us on Facebook: http://www.facebook....00003038570175#!/profile.php?id=100003038570175

AKA in some circles as the "Ninja Assassin"

#5 Jadeslade

Jadeslade

I'm in my prime

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:40 AM

Around here, most people use 14lb in G34, 15lb in G35. Wolff. The lighter striker spring is for trigger tweaking. Wolf sells them as a set. Tungsten in G35 not so much in G34, assuming shooting G35 in Lim Maj. Steel in G34. If you are not getting light strikes with the striker spring and you like the pull it's good.
L-3282

#6 Steve_P

Steve_P

Sees Sights

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:50 AM

I had problems with my 34 not quite returning to battery with the 13lb ISMI spring.
I did install a wolff reduced power striker spring and it cleared up the problems. Trigger pull is pretty nice too!!

I think you just have to try it in your gun...

#7 Jman

Jman

Balance

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,894 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:52 AM

Not sure of the pound rating. I use OEM recoil assemblies in my G35. Around New Years I take it out and put into my G17. :) A new OEM assembly goes into the G35. Both guns have Vanek triggers.

Jim

DRINK WATER ALL DAY...

...add Scotch at night.

#8 rkjeepxj

rkjeepxj

Looks for Range

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:25 AM

I run a 13lb IMSI spring in my G35 with 130-135pf loads and I run a 15lb IMSI spring in my other G35 for 170pf major loads.

I'm running stock trigger springs (just polished everything up) with the 13lb spring with no problems.

#9 Nik Habicht

Nik Habicht

Voice of Reason

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,705 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:31 AM

I had problems with my 34 not quite returning to battery with the 13lb ISMI spring.
I did install a wolff reduced power striker spring and it cleared up the problems. Trigger pull is pretty nice too!!

I think you just have to try it in your gun...

Having played with springs in at least four different 34s now, it really comes down to the individual gun. One of the four was perfectly safe with a 12 lb. recoil spring; the other wouldn't reliably return to battery with a 12 lb. spring and a reduced power striker spring....

One of them requires a 15 lb. spring in order to function safely with the stock striker spring, the others will do it with a 14 lb.. spring. You'll need to figure it out for the individual gun....

Also: running lighter springs requires function testing more often, and probably replacing springs more frequently than stock....
Nik

You're shooting Steel like an A class shooter. Why are you shooting the Paper so slowly? ---- Dave Marques, Production Nationals, 2005

This is a game of high-speed precision. If you don't precisely plan what you want to happen, there's not much chance that it will. ---- Brian Enos, 2004

#10 Aircooled6racer

Aircooled6racer

Hello:Thanks,Eric.

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,408 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:51 AM

Hello: Use the 13lb ISMI recoil spring in your G34. It works great. If you are using it for steel at about 120PF then cut 3 coils off the 13lb ISMI spring. These setups work with stock,Jager or steel guide rods. Thanks, Eric

#11 BayouSlide

BayouSlide

Beyond it All

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 12:53 PM

#13 has always worked great for me, as well.

:cheers:

Curtis
"Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held. Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin. Believe nothing just because someone else believes it. Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true." -- Buddha

#12 kevin c

kevin c

Kachik-kerplunk...kachik-kerplunk

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,489 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 02:57 PM

My experience is pretty much like Nik's. There is gun to gun variation, and it matters more the lower you go.

I'm using 11# ISMI springs in my Production G34 and downloaded G35 at 135-137 PF, both needing light striker springs, 13# to 15# in L10/Limited G35 loads at 170 PF. It's not a trouble free, "swap 'em out every X thousand rounds" type of maintenance deal, though.

The lowest springs required a lot of messing around. Both the 34 and the 35 would have rearward creep of the slide on pulling the trigger, if used with a std striker spring. Both guns can get picky about cycling on the first shot post reloading from a full magazine (10 rounder). I could also, with a 13# or lighter ISMI spring and std striker, and sometimes with a light striker spring, get the slide to move out of battery on slamming home the reload with a tightly loaded mag.

Consider whether the potential loss of reliability, or the ongoing extra effort of maintaining a functional combination of springs and mags, is worth the change from the stock configuration.

MASTER class, one of these days...

"Remember that thing in the middle of the target? It's called the A zone. Try to hit it, more than just occasionally..."  Saul Kirsch

Being unconquerable lies within yourself - Sun-Tzu

#13 MoNsTeR

MoNsTeR

BOO-YAH! Score one for economic science!

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:20 PM

I'm running 11#s and like it, but 13# is fine too.
Noah Yetter | A50113
SQL> select * from users where clue > 0;
no rows selected

#14 Duane Thomas

Duane Thomas

Story Teller

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,151 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:51 PM

I'm up to a little over 57k combined in my G17 and 34, and the VAST majority of those have been fired on ISMI 13-pound recoil springs and lightened firing pin springs, with no problems.

When I tried running stock firing pin springs in both guns, also with the 13-pound ISMI springs, I likewise had no problems. Not necessarily recommending that anyone else do that, it just worked for me.

Having said that, I recently switched over to 14-pound Wolff springs, and also back to lightened firing pin springs, with no change in functionality (i.e. 100 percent).

Approach all this with caution. As always, YMM seriously V.
Pride and fear are emotions, which hope for an outcome. Outcomes take your attention from the present, where the shooting happens, to the future. It is totally impossible to do anything in the future, because it hasn't happened yet. The key to shooting your best is to be present as the witness of the shooting. Do not judge, do not give yourself anything to live up to. We can only shoot as well as we have trained ourselves to shoot. To try to shoot only induces stress. Be content with your current ability. And accumulate practice to improve that ability. Consolidate, build strength where you feel weakness. We cannot raise our ability until we accept our current limitations. Practice dissolves limitations. Matches simply define where the current limits exist. The game of shooting is all about redefining our limits.
- Sam

Amateurs do it til they get it right. Professionals do it til they can't get it wrong.

"It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters."
- Paul "Bear" Bryant

"The only reason why Everest is the highest mountain ever climbed is because it's the highest. If there was one higher, I bet there'd be people trying to climb it."
- Jack Barnes

#15 ShootsinRain

ShootsinRain

Finally read the FAQs

• Classified
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:38 PM

Hello: Use the 13lb ISMI recoil spring in your G34. It works great. If you are using it for steel at about 120PF then cut 3 coils off the 13lb ISMI spring. These setups work with stock,Jager or steel guide rods. Thanks, Eric

FYI ISMI makes a 11# spring as well, without having to cut a 13#. Hope that helps.
I shoot production, where we dial it up to 11.

#16 ctkenc

ctkenc

Looks for Match

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:36 AM

I'm a "newbie" to the Glock World, coming from 1911's. Have a G34 that I've only had for 2 months ... shoot it in IDPA.
What I'd appreciate learning is ... why do you folks switch these springs and spring weights? What are you achieving; is it reduced recoil?
What is the spring weight in my new, stock G34 ?
Thanks guys,
Ken

#17 Calmwater

Calmwater

Sees Sights Lift

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:41 AM

Stock spring assembly is 17 pounds. Most say that lighter recoil spring weights provide less muzzle flip and felt recoil.
a61461 So you all can see I don't know what I'm talking about........

#18 Duane Thomas

Duane Thomas

Story Teller

• Classifieds
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,151 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:48 PM

A lot of the perceived recoil, i.e. rearward push, that you feel when firing an auto pistol is caused by the rearward rocketing slide, as it travels to the rear, overcoming and compressing the recoil spring. Lessen the amount of resistance to that travel, the amount of energy required to move the slide, you also lessen perceived recoil and muzzle flip.

The Glock 17 was designed to work with European spec 9mm that runs at pressures, and a recoil level, that in the U.S. we consider +P+. The Glock 34 uses the exact same recoil spring/guide rod assembly as the 17. Thus you wind up with guns that, in my opinion, are seriously oversprung for standard pressure, U.S. spec 9mm, and the equivalent power level handloads we run in USPSA/IDPA competition, as well.

As has been mentioned, the stock recoil spring weight for the Glock 17/34 is 17 pounds. Most shooter who replace the recoil springs in their Glock 17s/34s run either a 13-pound ISMI spring or a 14-pound Wolff spring. Thus our guns have less perceived recoil and muzzle flip than guns running factory springs, and still work perfectly.
Pride and fear are emotions, which hope for an outcome. Outcomes take your attention from the present, where the shooting happens, to the future. It is totally impossible to do anything in the future, because it hasn't happened yet. The key to shooting your best is to be present as the witness of the shooting. Do not judge, do not give yourself anything to live up to. We can only shoot as well as we have trained ourselves to shoot. To try to shoot only induces stress. Be content with your current ability. And accumulate practice to improve that ability. Consolidate, build strength where you feel weakness. We cannot raise our ability until we accept our current limitations. Practice dissolves limitations. Matches simply define where the current limits exist. The game of shooting is all about redefining our limits.
- Sam

Amateurs do it til they get it right. Professionals do it til they can't get it wrong.

"It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters."
- Paul "Bear" Bryant

"The only reason why Everest is the highest mountain ever climbed is because it's the highest. If there was one higher, I bet there'd be people trying to climb it."
- Jack Barnes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users